Blog post page shows read more button

Hello,

I unchecked “show posts excerpts” option from Customizing -> Sparkling Options -> Content Options. The blog page now shows the full content of the post. but it also shows the read more button.

Another problem is that the blog page layout is not changing. I set it to right sidebar but it shows as full width. I see an option at the bottom of the page in edit mode. It says: “Select layout for this specific Page only ( Note: This setting only reflects if page Template is set as Default Template and Blog Type Templates.)”. Please explain this option. The url of my blog is http://pakjiddat.com

Thanks,
Nadir Latif

I am also having this problem:

“I unchecked “show posts excerpts” option from Customizing -> Sparkling Options -> Content Options. The blog page now shows the full content of the post. but it also shows the read more button.”

Can someone tell me how to take the “READ MORE” button off of the blog posts?

Thank you!

I solved this problem by creating a child theme of the Sparkling theme. I downloaded the Sparkling Child theme from : https://colorlibsupport.com/t/sparkling-child-theme/. After activating the Child theme, I copied the content.php file from the parent theme to the child theme and edit the file so the “Read More” button only shows when excerpt option is selected.

Nadir

Thank you for your response.

I downloaded the Child Theme and activated it but have not idea how to do this part:

“copied the content.php file from the parent theme to the child theme and edit the file so the “Read More” button only shows when excerpt option is selected”

Sorry I’m learning as I go.

Is this something I can do in WP or is this more technical and is done through Cpanel? Can you share the steps on how to do this?

Thanks again!

You have to use the Cpanel file manager to make the changes. You need to follow these steps:

1. First you have to copy content.php file from the wp-contents/themes/sparkling folder to the wp-contents/themes/sparkling-child folder.

2. Then in contents.php file in the sparkling-child folder, you have to remove the line:

<p>” title=”<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>”><?php esc_html_e( ‘Read More’, ‘sparkling’ ); ?></p>

1. Below line 39. This line should have the following text: “the_excerpt()”, Add following line:
?>
<p>” title=”<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>”><?php esc_html_e( ‘Read More’, ‘sparkling’ ); ?></p>
<?php

Now you should only see the “Read More” button if you select excerpts from the theme options.

Hi There,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting here.

I have notified the theme developer to not to display Read More when full post is displayed on the posts listings page.

This change will be implemented in the theme ASAP.

In the meanwhile to resolve the issue you can use the child Sparkling theme attached to this reply that contains some custom code.

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

Hope you’re doing well. This is my first post on colorlib.

I am having the same issue as above, my “Read More” button shows even after a complete post is shown. I see that you said back in December 2015 that you’ve notified the theme developer and said the change would be made ASAP. I’m very new to this so I’m not sure if 2-3 months time is considered quick or not :slight_smile: I only got this theme last week so I assume it’s up-to-date, if I have to do something to update please let me know. If I could avoid doing the CSS stuff it would be easier for me.

What bothers me more than having the useless “read more” button at the bottom is the colour of the post title link, when I hover on it it turns red (which clashes with the theme colours I’ve chosen). Technically the post titles shouldn’t be links anyways because they are full posts…#dc25ed is the ideal colour for the link when it’s hovered on (and black when it’s not). Hope this makes sense…
My site url is www.mrsgeekchic.com

Thank you in advance for your help! Have a nice evening,

Larissa

Yup, I’m having the same issue as well. I really like this theme overall, but this “Read More” button showing for complete posts is kinda perplexing. I would also prefer to avoid trying to muddle through fixing it via css if possible - is there an ETA as to when it will be fixed in the theme itself?

Hi There,

You can see on the following page that i have notified the issue to the theme developer and the issue is fixed in the theme but the updated theme is not yet released in WordPress repository so you are not getting update for the theme.

I think the updated theme version will be released after implementing some major feature in it but sorry i can’t tell you the exact date or ETA when it will be available.

In the meanwhile you can use the solution posted in the following reply or just download and use the updated theme from here https://github.com/puikinsh/Sparkling

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/blog-post-page-shows-read-more-button-for-full-post/#post-37781

To help us keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your other questions here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/sparkling/ instead of replying on this thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Thanks,
Movin

Hi Movin,

Thanks for the quick reply! I will for sure post my other question in a new forum.

If I decide to download the updated theme from the link you mentioned in your response above how will that affect the look of my blog? Will the colours I’ve chosen and the header and everything I’ve done to customize it stay the same with the download? or will I have to redo it all? I’m so new at this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Larissa

Hi Larissa,

The theme customizer settings including colors will be persisted but may be you have to configure again your menu and widgets.

Regards,
Movin

Hallo Movin,

I allready download the updated theme from the link you mentioned. But, why my post show the full the text? How to make “read more” active? this is my site iniyona.com

Movin,

My bad… I already solve it :smiley:

@iniyona

Awesome great to see you got that solved.

Please advise if you have more questions by creating new topic for it.

Have a fantastic day