Code Required ASAP to Fix Post Header Image Resize After Update

Hello

I do not have a child theme and do not want one. All of my header images are 274 x 959 and after the update show at different sizes.

I need CSS to make all header images appear as they did previously. I have over 100 posts.

Thanks,
Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Try regenerating thumbnails on your using this plugin Force Regenerate Thumbnails – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

If it doesn’t help you then please use the following solutions.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/featured-image-all-different-sizes-after-theme-update/page/2/#post-100176

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

None of these are solutions for me so I rolled back the update to when my images were showing correctly, went to this post https://colorlibsupport.com/t/activello-child-theme/ and downloaded the child theme and edited that to look like my site.

BUT I have been under the impression that a child theme protects the site from being changed by updates however when the child theme is being used and I update Activello it changes the image sizes of the child theme.

Why does it do this?

I am honestly so confused about why you changed featured image sizes and why you can’t just provide CSS to make everything work properly again.

Also having downloaded the child theme I cannot even see how to add a content.php file…In Editor I see only this:

Templates
This child theme inherits templates from a parent theme, Activello.

Theme Functions
(functions.php)
Styles
Stylesheet
(style.css)

Hi there,
Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

You’ll have to manually add the file to your child theme folder. You’ll need to access your site’s files via FTP in order to add this. If you don’t know how to do this, you may reach out to your hosting and have them get this sorted for you.

https://codex.wordpress.org/FTP_Clients

As to where it should go, you just need to add it directly in the theme folder, no specific folders.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support

Why has the update affected featured image sizes? Why does a theme update override child theme? This has never happened to me before ever.

Should I be manually editing image sizes somehow? What size should they be? I have my images set at 959 width and 274 height and I want to keep them this way. There must be CSS that allows me to do this?

Will you be able to fix this or is it on the theme users to try and do so?

Lastly, I rolled back the theme update because it is madness to have spent so many hours trying to fix this - is there any danger of using an old version of the theme?

Why has the update affected featured image sizes?

To improve theme featured image sizes on full width pages.

Why does a theme update override child theme? This has never happened to me before ever.

WordPress doesn’t allow to override child theme. The child theme can override parent theme but reverse is not possible. May be you are confused here.

Should I be manually editing image sizes somehow? What size should they be? I have my images set at 959 width and 274 height and I want to keep them this way. There must be CSS that allows me to do this?

If there is CSS solution without affecting image quality then we would have provided you. Please use the solutions provided in the above replies.

Will you be able to fix this or is it on the theme users to try and do so?

You can see in the above shared topics many users have fixed the issues as we have stated but if you can’t then would you mind if i log in to your site and fix it? If this is ok then could you please share me your site log in and FTP details privately by adding them in the box having text “Click here to share private content. Only you and forum moderators will bee able see it.”?

Lastly, I rolled back the theme update because it is madness to have spent so many hours trying to fix this – is there any danger of using an old version of the theme?

No

Thanks Movin, I appreciate you explaining. Actually many people have said things like, “it’s working but not as it was” regarding following the above instructions.

I downloaded the child theme from here: https://colorlibsupport.com/t/activello-child-theme/ I edited CSS to create the site I want and then activated child theme. I then updated Activello and the featured image sizes changed even though child theme was activated. I’m not mistaken that’s what happens. Why? Shouldn’t the child theme stay in tact?

If I upload the child theme when I’m using Activello 1.2.3 then why does it alter when Activello is updated to 1.3.1?

This also happens when I use a plugin to create a child theme from the 1.2.3 version rather than your file.

Can I confirm I can safely operate with an old versions of the theme? So many people advise against this…

Hi there,
Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

You can work with an older version, however, you will miss out on any bug fixes and added features that came with the latest version of the theme.

Could you please confirm that everything works well when using the parent version of the theme? Just in case there may be something that we missed along the way.

I look forward to your reply :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support

So with the updated parent theme it also updates the child theme - why?

Again you are misunderstanding here. WordPress doesn’t allow to override child theme. The child theme can override parent theme but reverse is not possible.

Let me show you example of how parent and child theme works.

Suppose the following function is added in parent theme that displays “Hello”

if ( ! function_exists( 'display_hello' ) ) :

function display_hello() {
		echo "Hello";
	}

endif;

and you are overwriting it in your child theme as following

echo "Hello there";
	}

What will be the output ?

It will be “Hello there”

Now suppose we change the code of display_hello function in parent theme as displayed below

if ( ! function_exists( 'display_hello' ) ) :

echo "<p>Hello</p>";
	}

endif;

Now the text should be displayed in paragraphs tags but it won’t because you have overwritten this function in your child theme which needs to update.

In short parent theme never overwrites child theme functionality but child theme overwrites parent theme functionality and if the major changes are made in the parent theme functionality that you are overwriting in child theme then you have to also change it in child theme.

Movin

PLEASE respond directly to what I am saying.

I uploaded your child theme and activated it whilst I was using version 1.2.3 of the parent theme. Then I updated the parent theme to the current version WHILST the child theme was activated.

And the child theme was updated too. WHY?

As I have already said this also happened when I used a plugin to create a child theme from version 1.2.3 and activated that child theme and then updated the parent theme to the latest version.

Something isn’t working here…

As i have told you many time above the child theme is not updated. Please read some information about WordPress child theme here Child Themes « WordPress Codex

If you have any specific question then please feel free to ask but don’t say again that the child theme is updated because it is your misunderstanding.

PLEASE explain how the above has occurred then. I set child theme and I update parent theme from version 1.2.3 and the featured image size on the activated child theme changes. I KEEP SAYING this has never ever happened to me in other themes when child theme is activated. Something is getting changed here and I need to know why?

I set child theme and I update parent theme from version 1.2.3 and the featured image size on the activated child theme changes.

Here is your misunderstanding that you think only activated child theme code controls featured image size but it is not. The child theme inherits functionality from Activello parent theme that controls featured image size which is update din recent theme version.

I KEEP SAYING this has never ever happened to me in other themes when child theme is activated.

This is because other themes that you are using might have not changed like Activello theme.

Something is getting changed here and I need to know why?

Everything is explained already in the above shared pages but for your reference i am sharing theme again below.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/featured-image-all-different-sizes-after-theme-update/page/2/#post-100176

Excuse me. I do not know how to speak English, I’m Brazilian and I need help. I’m starting to do site and I made one with colorlib and it’s with error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘:’ in /home/storage/b/4e/d0/abcisnovo/public_html/wp-content/themes/activello/footer.php on line 4848

Can you help me?
Sorry for the errors in the text.
thank you
site: www.abics.org.br

Hey @paulavieira,
Hope you’re doing well today

Whenever you have issues, I’d like to ask that you create your own ticket just to keep things organized in the forums.
I’m also going to ask that you not copy your comments to multiple posts. With that said, I’ve answered your query the other thread.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support