Customizer not responding after update to WP 4.4 and latest Sparkling

Hi there

After updating to WP 4.4 (Clifford), and Sparkling 2.2.0 the theme customizer is no longer working.
My standard theme changes where overwritten by the default off Sparkling, and if i try to make any changes trough the customizer options panel they don’t have any effect.
Yes i can insert the changes in the customizer panel, but nothing is happening after i saved them.

(I have not installed, or changed any plugins or whatever in the last few weeks)

Is there anyone how knows what to do ?

I am having the same trouble - very frustrating. Quick response would be much appreciated.

Same happened here. If only I saw this post two minutes before… I just upgraded… ><

Hi There,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I have tested it on my test site and it’s working fine for me using latest version of Sparkling theme.

Yes i can insert the changes in the customizer panel, but nothing is happening after i saved them.

Is it happening for you with all theme customizer options or with any particular option?

Are you using any custom Sparkling child theme?

This can be due to plugin conflict on your site so please try temporary deactivating all plugins and see whether everything works fine and then enable the plugins one by one to see which plugin is conflicting if any.

Kind Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

My problem seems to be only when trying to upload images, like a background image ou a header image.
I press the button, but the selection box won’t open.

I’ve already deactivated all plugins, but no changes were visible.
I’ve downloaded Sparkling theme directly from this website.

In another website, where Wordpress is NOT updated to 4.4, the image upload seems to work.

Kind Regars,
Nani

Hi Nani,

Is the “Add Media” button in the post editor working fine for you?

Could you please share the page URL from your site where you are having this issue so that i can troubleshoot it?

Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

The Add Media button is working fine.

The Website is por Velani Diz, though I don’t know which URL I can send you that might help.

I’m adding the screenshot from the customizer (it is in portuguese, though). The “Adicionar nova imagem” (Add new image) button does not respond. However, Save and Publish (“Salvar e Publicar”) is working fine.

Regards,
Nani

Hi Guys, I had a similar problem but it is resolved now. I was getting a blank page on clicking Customize. I am using Sparkling child theme (sparkling 2.2.2) on my blog pmbypm.com

I did everything possible - changed back to parent theme, tried twenty fifteen, deactivated all plugins. et el. Apparently the problem was WP version. When I upgraded to latest WP 4.4 Clifford the problem went away.
Hope it helps.

Great theme!

Hi Nani,

I didn’t find any issue from your site front end so could you please share me privately your admin login details by checking the checkbox “Set as private reply” when posting reply?

Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

Sorry i was offline due to circumstances.
I’ve tried all the above, but nothing has changed.

Are you using any custom Sparkling child theme?

Ehhh, i don’t know…
In the past i changed only visual items (say, different type/ color fonts en so)

That was before i used the Child theme, because after every update the changes where gone. (but this is say, longer than 8 months ago)

I hope u can help me.

Regards
Mac

P.s. My website is http://www.macsbbqpit.com

Hi Mac,

This can be child theme issue on your site so to confirm it just temporary use the Sparkling theme instead of child theme on your site. If everything works fine then it’s your child theme issue so just share me your child theme so that i can troubleshoot it.

Also this can be due to plugin conflict on your site so please try temporary deactivating all plugins and see whether everything works fine and then enable the plugins one by one to see which plugin is conflicting if any.

Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

I thought i already did so, but to confirm this I’ve tried in just now again, and there is no difference in any way, than with the child version.

Also deactivated all my plugins, and with no positive affect either.
Now I’ve lost a lot of setting from the plugins, so my site is even more messed up now.
I don’t know how a lot off the settings where before i deactivated the plugins :frowning:

I’m thinking of going back to a backup 20 day ago, before WP 4.4 and the latest Sparkling.
Hopefully i won’t lose any posts i made after the backup.

But i will wait fore your advise first of course.

Regards
Mac

Hi Mac,

Now I’ve lost a lot of setting from the plugins, so my site is even more messed up now. I don’t know how a lot off the settings where before i deactivated the plugins :-(

This should not happen but if it happens then its the issue of plugin that is developed with bad logic.

I’m thinking of going back to a backup 20 day ago, before WP 4.4 and the latest Sparkling. Hopefully i won’t lose any posts i made after the backup.

I think you may lose it depending on the backup taken so instead of restoring whole backup i recommend to use older version of theme which was working fine for you by downloading it from the following page.

https://themes.svn.wordpress.org/sparkling/

Also to troubleshoot it more on your site could you please share me privately your admin login details by checking the checkbox “Set as private reply” when posting reply?

Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

Here are my login details.
I normale use Cleff to login. (but it should be possible to login with a password)

User: Mac
Pass: SWbbqD2012

I have an appointment now. but wil check This afternoon, as soon as i am home, i surely hoop that you can find something what causes this problem. (if anyone can its you :wink: )

And if not, i will do the downgrade on Sparkling.

Tia

Regards
Mac

Hi Mac,

Thank you for sharing your site details.

I troubleshooted the issue and found it’s happening because of the plugin “Easy Bootstrap Shortcode” that you are using on your site which seems conflicting with the latest version of WordPress and theme.

To resolve the issue instead of this plugin could you please try using any of the following plugins?

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

I think you deactivated the plugin for me (it looked like that)
Still i cannot change settings (fore instance put my sidebar to the left, where it should be)

Ive deleted the plugin totally, than emptied cache, en stil am not able to change the sidebar to the left.
What am i doing wrong ? (it looks like there has nothing changed for me, and still have troubles)

Regards
Mac

Hi Mac,

After deactivating the plugin “Easy Bootstrap Shortcode” i could temporary change the logo on your site from theme customizer but layout options are not working due to disconnection error which prevents calling WordPress AJAX functions as shown in the attached screenshot.

You can also see this in your browser console. It seems the issue with your web host so please contact them.

Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin

Well, i did contact my web host, but he couldn’t find anything wrong.
So, i did something i was afraid tot do in the first place…i put my backup back, and i had the choice to place only the Theme backup (1.9.3) back, and so i did.

Now i can do everything again i could do before. (Happy me) pffffff.

Then i would think there must be something wrong in the Theme update 2.2.0 what couldn’t handle my configuration. (but i don’t know what)

Deactivating all the plugins i used didn’t do anything for me (nothing changed, en still i couldn’t change my settings)

Now that i’m back at Sparkling 1.9.3. everything is working o.k. and had to put my settings manually back witch was a bit of a puzzle but it worked. (need a little bit of finetuning, but finally now i can continue my work as a bbq foodblogger)

Thank you very much for your support Movin.
(Although id didn’t worked for me, i hope you maybe have some more insight tot this problem to help others)

Enjoy the holliday season, and have a healthy and great 2016.

Thx
Mac

Hi Mac,

Awesome great to see you got that resolved by degrading version of the theme.

The latest version of Sparkling theme customizer is working fine for me and other 50,000+ users who are using this theme so i think there must be some conflict specific to your setup with the latest version of the theme.

You can confirm it by installing another test WordPress setup on the same server and using latest version of Sparkling theme there.

Have a fantastic day and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Movin