Display Excerpt instead of full content

Hi,

How do I display the excerpt on all pages except a single page?

TIA

I would like to know this too. The dashboard option, even checked, doesn’t override the theme design.

Inside content.php file replace <?php the_content(); ?> with <?php the_excerpt(); ?> this will show excerpt instead of full post.

You can also use regular “read more” to add this functionally manually for posts where you want to use this functionality just like I have done in theme demo.

It worked great. I didn’t understand the second paragraph though.

Anyway, is there any way to specify how long is an excerpt? Has it to be the same fro each post, or could it be specified for each one?

Thanks.

If you would use manual read more tag you could specify how long is excerpt. Right now you are left with 55 words long which is default set by WordPress.

Of course you can use excerpt filter via functions.php file like so:

function custom_excerpt_length( $length ) {
	return 20;
}
add_filter( 'excerpt_length', 'custom_excerpt_length', 999 );

This will make excerpt length to 20 Words but you can change value to any number.

Thank you for the reply and help.

I can’t use the “Read More” tag because I have 1500 posts with custom made excerpts, so this was the only solution for me.

I can´t found the file content.php

I looked it in all folders that’s possible.

Theme: shapely

Thank you

@felipe This is old topic created for Sparkling theme and not shapely so to help us keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/shapely/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Hey @movin

I’m sorry.

@@felipe Not an issue. You are always welcome :slight_smile: