Expand front page without read more button

HI,
first of all, I’m a complete newbie to websites, but I’m learning. I followed a tutorial video and set up a website with the Illdy theme. While trying to get my head around all this new stuff (for me), there are a few things that have me stumped despite doing a lot of research on them. I hope you can help me.

By and large I’m happy with the site, but I don’t like that the first page is collapsed with a ‘read more’ button. I would like the first page to be the full page. Is there a way to do this or would I have to change to a different theme? There was a similar question in this forum, but the answers were blocked out. It mentions a ‘child theme’. If my answer involves that, could you let me know how to go about getting this?

Also, the title is cropped on the phone display. Is there a way to make it smaller for mobile phones? I found answers to this, mentioning certain codes, but couldn’t make it work so far. Maybe I’m putting the codes in the wrong places, or maybe it can’t be changed?

Thank you so much for listening
Best
Tessa

Hi @tessakay,

Regarding the read more, did you set your page as a static page? go in Settings>Reading>Front page displays>Choose static page. I think this is the full page that you refer. Child theme- is the best way of doing customize to your Illdy theme because if we update the theme you will not lose all your changes(fonts, color, layout, etc) See attached a short tutorial on how you could do a child theme for Illdy.

Regarding the css code, please install a custom css plugin if the css built in addon does not work. You could try install it from here:

After you install the plugin copy and paste the following code:

#header .bottom-header h2{
font-size:35px;
}

Thanks,

Cristian

Hi Christian,

thanks for your answer. I am really scared to input any code as last time this resulted in a parse error and my page was down for days.
I played around with the static front page and kind of got it going, except that it totally ignores page builder layout. It makes everything read from top to bottom, centring it, which makes it hard to read. I was on to Site Origin, and they tried a few things. Lastly, they made me change the theme. I changed to WP 16, and the page reverted to the design as stipulated by page builder. According to their email: “I would recommend reporting this issue to your theme developers as they’re doing something on the homepage template that’s not standard. :frowning:
By basic reverted version I mean, the version you’re seeing on the homepage is the version of the page that’s only ever displayed when SiteOrigin Page Builder is disabled or something is ignoring Page Builder.”
When I changed to WP 16 it also displayed the comment box wherever I put it. But on your theme, I can’t make it show up on any page other than the front page when it is set to ‘first post’ rather than static.
I like your theme and would like to keep it, but so far it is not working for me. :slight_smile:

Hi @tessakay,

Try to use our theme without the need of those plugins that not always are working with our theme. Do you want your website to look exactly as we have the demo? If so, install the Illdy companion plugin and follow the screen instructions on how to import the demo.

After you will import the demo then you will be able to edit any section with the use of the widgets.

Thanks,

Cristian