Footer Changes to Spakling Theme

Hi,

I am a WordPress newbie. I really love your themes!
I have 2 questions:
I would like to remove the Social Media links in the footer, but not in the widgets.
I have removed the line
<?php sparkling_social(); ?>
form the footer.php file but it still shows in my site.
How can I remove it completely just from the footer?

My second question is basically with testing the first problem. (And knowing that this is also something that I would like to change.)
I would like to remove the ‘Powered by WordPress’ form the copyright section. From your treads here I learned about the exrtas.php file and found the sparkling_footer_info() function. I changed the function to:

/**
 * function to show the footer info, copyright information
 */
function sparkling_footer_info() {
global $sparkling_footer_info;
  printf( __( 'Theme by %1$s', 'sparkling' ) , '<a href="https://colorlib.com/" target="_blank">Colorlib</a>');
}

I just want to show the theme details and if possible a custom “developed and hosted by” link. This change also does not seem to work. The website still show the original copyright information.
How can I change this so that it actually show in the site? What am I missing?

Help will be much appreciated!

@CarlaVos

Removing <?php sparkling_social(); ?> should remove social media icons from footer. Maybe you still see some cached version if you use some caching plugins for WordPress. Other thing might be PHP cache. Try to open and edit any Post/Page and just hit update, just to make sure that PHP and WordPress gets refreshed.

And your approach with editing copyright information is also fine and this PHP/WordPress refresh might help with that as well.

Other thing, which is not common but still happens, is that you might attempt to edit wrong theme folder. Maybe you have different theme activated and you are editing another one or even editing it on a wrong website. Sounds stupid but I have done this several times myself :slight_smile: