Homepage with widgets

Hi there,

Thank you for this fantastic theme.

What I’m trying to create is a home page that has a 2/3 box pulling latest posts and 1/3 on the right with widgets.

I can’t seem to figure out how to do so.

Please see the website at http://392scouts.com/wordpress2015/

I want the home page to look similar to my other page (See: http://392scouts.com/wordpress2015/sponsors/)

Thanks of the help in advance.

Sorry, just going to clarify.

The homepage should look like so:

2/3 on the left - Latest posts
1/3 on the right - Various custom widgets (facebook/minigallery/polls)

Hi @naztheeternal,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can try achieving this by setting option “Front page displays” to “Your latest posts” in your site Reading Settings as shown in the attached screenshot and then add the widgets to the sidebar in the widgets screen.

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi, I was wondering if it’s possible to change the width of the Pages. I have it set to Full Width but it doesn’t seem to span that wide.

Also Is it possible to remove the line divider to a single page? I want to add a slider below my logo but there’s too much padding.

This is all for my static homepage by the way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

@ckobis1

1. Are you refering the part below the Slider to be full width? Try this is your Custom CSS. @Movin can confirm.
.container .main-content-area {
	max-width: 100%;
}
  1. Why not reduce the padding? See what I did below. You can see it at my website
#logo {
	padding: 10px 0 5px;
}

Thanks @Movin for the help!

Sorry I have a lot of questions :frowning:

1. When I change to “Your Latest Posts” is there a way I can pick what posts show up in slider and what show up below that? I assume that is done through categories some how?

2. When I set my page to “A Static Page” why does it tile all the other pages on the home page? See image below. Where would I edit what it shows on the Static Home Page?

3. Can I make the menu at the top of the page stay visible as I scroll down?

Hi @ckobis1,

To help keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/activello/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Thanks,
Movin

Hi @naztheeternal,

1. When I change to “Your Latest Posts” is there a way I can pick what posts show up in slider and what show up below that? I assume that is done through categories some how?

You can control what posts to display in the slider by configuring the slider.

To configure the slider on your site tick checkbox “Show Slider” on the following path

Admin Area -> Appearance -> Customize -> Activello Options -> Slider Option

Select category from “Choose a category” dropdown to use for slider
Now select number of slides to be used in slider (newest Posts from that category will be used)
Make sure you have Featured Images selected for those Posts.

You can display what posts to display on home page by developing custom code as described on the following pages.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/pre_get_posts

2. When I set my page to “A Static Page” why does it tile all the other pages on the home page? See image below. Where would I edit what it shows on the Static Home Page?

It’s not happening on my test site.

Are you setting any page template to the page set as static page?

3. Can I make the menu at the top of the page stay visible as I scroll down?

You can try achieve thing this by using the attached small plugin specially developed for you that contains some custom code.

Best Regards,
Movin

@Movin

You sir, are a fantastic man. Thank you very much for the plugin.

I would however, like to learn how you did it, is all the code contained within that 1 php file? I’ll open it up and have a look around.

As far as the template on the static page, no I am not using one.
Is it possible that I corrupted or changed the index template when I installed a specific plugin? I noticed the error come up after I installed a plugin, but it did not go away after uninstalling.

Where would I find the template for my static home page?

Hi @naztheeternal,

I would however, like to learn how you did it, is all the code contained within that 1 php file? I’ll open it up and have a look around.

I am not sure regarding what you are talking about so please advise.

As far as the template on the static page, no I am not using one. Is it possible that I corrupted or changed the index template when I installed a specific plugin? I noticed the error come up after I installed a plugin, but it did not go away after uninstalling.

Just deactivate all plugins, remove the Activello theme from your and install the fresh version of it and if everything works fine then activate the plugins one by one.

Regards,
Movin

@Movin

I did as you said.

Deactivated all plugins.
Uninstalled the theme.
Reinstalled.
Did not activate any plugins and the problem persisted.

Could we perhaps compare the file that pulls all the content in the default “Static Front Page” file?

@Movin

Another thing to note, it is doing this only if I set the:

Front Page: Home
Posts Page: Home

If is set the Front/Posts page to any one of my other pages, it functions correctly. I’ve tried making new pages, does not work.

Hi @naztheeternal,

Another thing to note, it is doing this only if I set the:

Front Page: Home
Posts Page: Home

If is set the Front/Posts page to any one of my other pages, it functions correctly. I’ve tried making new pages, does not work.

You are doing this thing wrong as Front page and Posts page should not be the same and you will get warning message as shown in the attached screenshot if you set both the pages same.

Regards,
Movin