Incorrect Previous/Next Navigation Links on Recent Post Pages in Sparkling 2.3.2

(I accidently just posted this topic under the wrong theme (Dazzling). My apologies. My correct theme is Sparkling. I don’t know how I got them both confused. Sorry. I have no way of finding the topic to make changes or delete the topic. So, please delete the topic I just posted under Dazzling, because it’s incorrect.)

I’ve been using Sparkling theme since about the time it debuted on WordPress and I’ve never come across an issue with the previous and next post navigation links that appear at the bottom of each and every new post on the post page.

I finally upgraded to the latest Sparkling theme a few weeks ago in April, and that’s when the problem began. Before, I had an older version of Sparkling, perhaps it had been a year or longer since I had upgraded my theme to a newer version. I didn’t upgrade in so long because I had my theme changes saved on my desktop computer that I no longer use. I’ve never been able to figure out how child themes work, so I manually make changes in the theme files myself.

So let me TRY and explain the problem I’m now noticing with the latest Sparkling theme Version 2.3.2, which I just upgraded to last month - April.

The problem is, the last 3 posts I’ve recently created and posted ALL have the wrong/incorrect previous & next posts listed. The links that show up at the bottom of each post on the post page. Each new posts show the previous post from long ago, so it’s not in the correct order. And 2 posts are missing links to the next posts.

Examples:
My latest post at http://mikeposnerhits.com/mike-posners-at-night-alone-1-year-anniversary/, the previous post links to a post in September 2016 and that’s incorrect. It should be linking back to the previous post which is http://mikeposnerhits.com/mike-posner-on-gaining-success-dealing-with-jealousy-and-more/. And that post also shows the incorrect previous post link AND the next post link is missing (it should be there). And on the 3rd latest post at http://mikeposnerhits.com/mike-posner-in-the-arms-of-a-stranger-grey-remix-official-music-video/, it’s missing the next post link but the previous post link is correct.

So, can someone please tell me what went wrong in Sparkling to cause my last 3 newer posts to show the incorrect previous posts and also missing the next posts links at the bottom of my new posts of the post pages?
I’d really appreciate the help. I’ve tried searching for answers here in the forum, but I didn’t see any answers. Plus, whenever I do a search, everything pops up from all of the Colorlib themes, so it makes my search more difficult.

Hi @pinkrosechristina,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

It seems you are facing the issue as reported on the following page.

To resolve the issue try using latest version of theme by downloading it from https://github.com/puikinsh/Sparkling

Best Regards,
Movin

Thank you for replying with a resolution.

So, I either leave it as is or fall back to an older update like Sparkling 2.2.2?

There is no newer version than what I already have. I AM on the 2.3.2 the latest theme.

So, I’ve decided to just stay on the latest them Sparkling 2.3.2 and just hide the nav-links using the following code.

.nav-links {
display: none;
} 

I’ll wait for the next update and hope they’ve change the previous/next nav links back to how they USE to work. The way that they work now in the latest update version just makes no sense to me.

Hi there,
Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

That seems like the best option currently. Since the way these work currently aren’t to your liking, you may want to suggest an option that would work better such as having an option to choose between logics etc.

This can be done in the GitHub as was linked previously.

Best Regards,
Support

I just noticed that the code I tried to hide the nav-links, actually also hid my page navigation. I don’t have infinite scroll. So, now I’m trying the following code, which I hope isn’t interfering with any other functions of the theme. I think it seems like it’s working on only the navigation on the post pages only. I hope.

.nav-next, .nav-previous {
}
There is no newer version than what I already have. I AM on the 2.3.2 the latest theme.

No the theme version on the following github page is more recent as it contains many frequent bug fixes.

I just noticed that the code I tried to hide the nav-links, actually also hid my page navigation. I don’t have infinite scroll. So, now I’m trying the following code, which I hope isn’t interfering with any other functions of the theme. I think it seems like it’s working on only the navigation on the post pages only. I hope.

To target only single post pagination you should use following custom CSS code.

.single-post .navigation.post-navigation .nav-links *{
}