Jumbotron: Add a Fullstop after 3rd word

Hello! Loving the theme - thanks so making it all so easy for us to edit!

I wondered how I could add a 3rd full stop after the 3rd work in the homepage jumbotron? At the moment I can only change the text and fullstop colours.

Thanks so much
Hannah

Hi Hannah,
You can just type it in after the third word “.”

But you can’t color just the “.” and it would look funny. I’m trying to find a way to do this as well.

Hello,

To add another dot after you’d need to do some custom coding in front-page-bottom-header.php by adding another <span class=“span-dot second-span-dot”> to the title.

Regards

Could you elaborate?

I copied the front-page-bottom-header.php to my child theme folder and copied the line into it and changed ‘second’ to ‘third’ but nothing’s happening. I also added the ‘.__( ‘.’, ‘illdy’ ) .’</span> This is what I have now:

<h2><?php if( $first_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="first-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $first_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot first-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?> <?php if( $second_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="second-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $second_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot second-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?> <?php if( $third_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="third-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $third_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot third-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?></h2>

For those of you looking for an answer, I figured it out, here was my process:

In my cpanel, I created a ‘sections’ folder within my child theme and copied the front-page-bottom-header.php file into this folder and replaced the the H2 line with this:

<h2><?php if( $first_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="first-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $first_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot first-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?> <?php if( $second_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="second-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $second_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot second-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?> <?php if( $third_row_from_title ): echo '<span data-customizer="third-row-from-title">'. illdy_sanitize_html( $third_row_from_title ) .'</span><span class="span-dot third-span-dot">'. __( '.', 'illdy' ) .'</span>'; endif; ?></h2>

Saved, then it should be good. My problem above was not having the front-page-bottom-header.php file located within the ‘sections’ folder in cpanel. This might be obvious to some of you but I’m pretty new to child themes and php. Hope this might help someone in the future!

Hello,

Thank you for the follow up, I’m very happy that you managed to make it work via the proper way, by setting up a child theme so the modifications sticks with the theme.

Best regards

I have never been able to figure out the child theme. Could you walk me through it by chance?

Here’s Wordpress’ Child Theme guide. It’s not too newbie friendly in my opinion, but it’s still good to take a look at. Child Themes « WordPress Codex

I got most help from this tutorial from Smashing Magazine: How To Create And Customize A WordPress Child Theme — Smashing Magazine

Hope those help! Good luck!