Parse error: syntax error

Hi there,

I’ve run into an urgent problem. Because of the recent Wordpress update, my featured images were blurry and sized incorrectly. I found the forums to fix the issue, however upon trying to figure out how to add content.php to the child theme, I messed with the functions.php file in my child theme. Now, I am completely unable to even access my wordpress account, so I can’t change it back! Even if I try to log in to my wordpress dashboard, I just get an error: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘<’, expecting end of file in /home1/honeyde7/public_html/wp-content/themes/USE THIS FILE/functions.php on line 59

If you try to access my site at: www.honeydewblog.com you can see the same issue. I’m completely locked out of my account! Do I have to go through my hosting site to fix this? Please help!

Thanks,
Jennifer Wang

Update! After some googling, it looks like I’ll have to use a FTP program to recover my account. However, could you send me the exact code that should go in the functions.php file in the child theme? I’m not exactly sure what I changed to cause the issue.

Hey there,
Hope you’re doing well today

I don’t think any code should actually be added to the functions.php though.
I’ve attached a copy of the functions.php that comes with the theme.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support

Thank you for the reply! I replaced the function.php files for the child theme and the original activello theme files through an FTP application, but I’m still receiving the same error message. :frowning: Any ideas?

Sorry, I actually just realized I’m getting a different error now: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare activello_categorized_blog() (previously declared in /home1/honeyde7/public_html/wp-content/themes/activello/inc/template-tags.php:103) in /home1/honeyde7/public_html/wp-content/themes/activello/inc/template-tags.php on line 122

However, I definitely didn’t touch the template-tags.php file. I’m in such a mess! Any idea what I can do to resolve the problem?

Hi there,
Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

After a deeper look into the issue you’re having I see where you have the theme folder renamed to “USE THIS FILE.”
I’m going to ask that you remove that USE THIS FILE folder (save it locally for backup purposes), then go ahead and log back into your WordPress Admin, then reinstall the theme from Appearance > Themes > Add New > Search for Activello.

Please let me know if this works.

Best Regards,
Support

Hi there,

“USE THIS FILE” is simply a copy of the Child theme. I am completely locked out of my wordpress account because of the error, so I cannot carry out the instructions you sent over. I can’t log in at all. When I try to access the dashboard or anything related to my wordpress account, I get the error message. I have been editing the files through an FTP application.

Would the functions.php file be the same for the child theme and the original Activello theme? If not, would you be able to send the functions.php file that should be attached to the original Activello theme as well?

Hi there,

I’ve attached a zip file which contains another copy of the child theme (activello-child.zip). This contains the content.php file added already, so you may just add that and then proceed to add any other files that you have edited in the process and you should be good.

When installing this child theme, I’m going to ask that you rename the current one to something else, and then try accessing your dashboard. This should force the theme to activate the Twenty Seventeen Child theme, and you should have access to your dashboard once more. After this, just go ahead and install the new child theme.

If you don’t want to go that route, the Activello child theme’s functions.php file is attached in the second zip file (Activello Child functions file.zip).

Best Regards,
Support

Thanks so much! I was able to get access back into my wordpress account. I am now just using the Activello parent theme, but my featured images (other than the first two at the top) still aren’t quite right. Can you tell me what I need to do now that I’m on the parent theme to fix it?

Try regenerating thumbnails on your using this plugin Force Regenerate Thumbnails – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

If it doesn’t help you then please use the following solutions.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/featured-image-all-different-sizes-after-theme-update/page/2/#post-100176

Hi! I’ve seen all these solutions before. Regenerating thumbnails did not work for me. Is the only other solution then to use the child theme? There is no way to fix the problem while staying on the Activello parent theme?

My biggest issue right now is that if I change to the new child theme, I lost all my design settings and have to re-set them all. Is there a way to use the child theme without having to lose all my design settings (CSS, colors, pages, widgets, etc.)?

The images are displaying fine on your shared site now as shown in the attached screenshot.

Have you resolved the issue?

Please advise.

Hi! It’s actually the featured images below the first two that aren’t quite right. They are a bit blurry, cropped too short, and don’t resize themselves with the window is resized bigger/smaller. Screenshot is attached.

When temporarily switching over to the child theme, it fixed the issue. However, I lose all my theme settings, widgets, and page settings. I would prefer not to have to spend the time to re-set up everything again if I can continue using the Activello parent theme!

Hi there,

The best I could advise you to do at the moment, then, would be to have you replace the content.php with the one attached below to essentially apply the fix to the parent theme.

If the fix isn’t added to the next version of the theme (It should but things happen) then you’ll probably have to add the file again.

So just to be clear, unzip the file, save a copy of the original content.php file from your theme folder to your local computer, then add the new content.php file inside of your theme folder. You should get a prompt to replace the file, accept that and allow the file to be replaced. After this, you should be good.

Best Regards,
Support

It worked! Thank you SO much for sticking with me and helping me through this issue. I feel so grateful to have picked a theme that provides such AMAZING support. Thank you to the Activello team! <3