Popular Posts Widget thumbnails count method

Hey, I’m using the popular posts widget but found two problems:

1- My widget thumbnails are not showing right. Before each thumbnail was cropped to fit perfectly in the little square space. Not sure what to do about it. I’m not using Photon but using it doesn’t seem to help. I using version 2.0 of the theme.

2- I doubt that the post count being shown is correct. Is there anywhere I can check that number or could you explain how do you collect it? It doesn’t match the info passed by Statistics, it hasn’t changed in quite a while and I suspect there is something wrong with it…

Thumbnail problem solved by regenerating all thumbnails, but still need help with the post count…

Hi @mudito,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

2- I doubt that the post count being shown is correct. Is there anywhere I can check that number or could you explain how do you collect it? It doesn’t match the info passed by Statistics, it hasn’t changed in quite a while and I suspect there is something wrong with it…

I have tested it on my test site and it’s working fine for me using latest version of Dazzling theme.

You can temporary use the attached small plugin to test it which displays post count in the footer on single post pages.

Best Regards,
Movin

Yes, it is accumulating, but I found an error: If the post_views_count meta data is ‘0’ it doesn’t start counting. After i changed manually to ‘1’ it started to work. Maybe that explains the discrepancy with Stats. I’m going to manually alter the database to make both match and then monitor to see how it goes. Thank you for your help!

Hi @mudito,

I could confirm the issue on my test site therefore i have notified the theme developer about this so that it can be fixed.

In the meanwhile you can fix this issue by using the attached child theme of Dazzling theme that contains some custom code.

Best Regards,
Movin

Thank. I won’t use the theme you attached because I have customized mine, so I’ll wait for the next theme update to implement it and therefore do the customizing once, but thank you anyway.

I think now I really found what the problem is: the counting only increases if I access the site from my web browser logged into Wordpress. If I open an incognito window and access the same post, the counting does not accumulate. I’ve tried Chrome and Firefox. So the counting showing there is only myself looking at the website, not my actual users! Can you make that test in your environment, to make sure? Thank you.

Hi @mudito,

Thank. I won’t use the theme you attached because I have customized mine, so I’ll wait for the next theme update to implement it and therefore do the customizing once, but thank you anyway.

If you have customized your child theme then you can merge the code from my shared child theme in to your theme.

Please don’t make changes in the theme files because you have to make these changes again after theme updation as changes made in the theme files get lost on theme updation.

If I open an incognito window and access the same post, the counting does not accumulate. I’ve tried Chrome and Firefox. So the counting showing there is only myself looking at the website, not my actual users! Can you make that test in your environment, to make sure?

I have just tested it on my test site and it’s working fine for me in both browser incognito mode and in normal mode.

Regards,
Movin