Problem: "Read more" displays when nothing more to read

I’m seeing a problem with Sparkling. On the home page, at the bottom of every post, the Read More button is visible and active even though the entire post already appears above the button. In some cases, “Read More” allows the reader to see comments but this is not the case with all the posts because the Read More button is getting displayed even for posts without comments. Maybe you did this on purpose, thinking “Read More” leads to comments or the opportunity to enter comments. If so I suggest you rethink it. I think it’s confusing and irritating to the reader. Imho “Read more” should only be used when more of the post will become visible, and some other mechanism should be used for comments.

Other than that, I’m impressed and pleased. I tried 11 themes today and this one was the best.

Here’s my website so you can see for yourself:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Update:

After I wrote the preceding post, I unchecked “Show post excerpts” then checked it again. This caused excerpts to display on the home page instead of complete posts. The “Read More” buttons make sense now and I prefer the site this way, so I no longer need the problem solved but it may still exist for other people.

For your information there may be a slight bug with “Show post excerpts” because it was initially checked when I installed the theme but didn’t cause excerpts to display until I toggled it (unchecked it and checked it again).

Perhaps the problem is that the checked state of “Show post excerpts” was affecting the code that displays “Read More” buttons but not affecting the code that draws the bodies of the posts. Of course you know better than I.

sir where the place of show post expertise? i have the same problem too, thanks

Hi @freddie,

Awesome great to see you got that solved.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Have a fantastic day!

Cheers,
Movin

Hi @erlara,

You will find it on the following path in your site admin area.

Admin Area -> Appearance -> Customize -> Sparkling Options -> Content Options

To help keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/sparkling/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Cheers,
Movin