"reset" of *.php files

Hi there,
I am coming over with the following issue that I can’t solve after all.
To customize the footer and the slider I have changed some code within the “extras.php” and “header.php” files which works perfectly fine.
After some weeks all of a sudden it seems, that these files are being reset - all customization is gone and the original files are back on. This is very frustrating since I have already checked with my webhost but they actually say it is a theme issue.
Is anyone experiencing the same or has a solution for that?
Thank you so much for assistance
Best Regards
Simon

Hey Simon,
Hope you’re doing well today

Have you done an update recently? If you have, then that’s the issue you’re facing.

In order to preserve your customizations, you’ll need to create a child theme and add your customizations to it, that way, your updates will affect all the files in the parent theme (the one you have activated now), instead of your customized files in the child theme which doesn’t update unless the theme goes through a major update.

You may use this plugin to set up a child theme:

Read more about child themes here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support

Hi there,

thanks for your fast support and all the information regarding child themes.

I have actually done an update to the newest version of Wordpress, so that would reset the php files? Is this also happening when updating the theme?

Thanks and best regards
Simon

Hi there,
Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

Updating the theme is essentially replacing the old files with new ones, so yes, updating the theme would reset all the files, hence the need for a child theme.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Support