Side bar navigation shifts and changes width

On most pages of our site, everything looks fine (really nice theme!) But on pages that have little content in the central area (I checked, they are just lists of links, no divs, nothing special, just HTML) the right-side navigation shifts around and becomes very narrow. Any help is appreciated. See attachments, as our site is IP restricted for internal use only.

Hi @dreynolds,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting here.

I have tested it on my test site by adding small content in page and it’s working fine for me using latest version of Sparkling theme as displayed in the attached screenshot.

Have you edited the theme files or using child theme on your site?

Could you please tell me a bite more in detail how to reproduce the issue so that i can troubleshoot it?

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

I have tried several times to reply, but my replies don’t show up. I’m trying a different browser.

I’ve just been explaining that the only theme file we might have modified would be the style sheet, and that would have been for just colors and such, but then we stopped doing that when we saw we could do it in the theme, without altering the file. Other than that, no. And no child theme. We haven’t updated the theme because we are afraid if we did make style changes, it might overwrite them, but I just realized we could make a copy of the style file?

The screeenshot you sent would be the only way to duplicate the problem, to have central content that is not as wide as the central column’s max width. I’m at a loss as what to do next.

Thanks for your help!
David

P.S. I love the green powder in your hair. It looks like you have been to the Festival of Colors!

Can you please somehow temporary allow my IP 120.138.116.108 to access your site and share me your site URL so that i can troubleshoot it?

Please also save the HTML markup of that page generated by your site and share me it.

Hi Movin,

I did discover something. It seems to only be happening in Firefox!

I’ve added your IP. I’m not sure when you say you want the HTML markup, do you just want the HTML of the central content box? I thought at first you wanted me to view source and send you that, but I figured if that’s what you want, you can get that once you access the site.

Let me know if you are able to get in and let me know if by the HTML markup of that page generated by the site.

Thanks for all your help!

David

P.S. You’ll find a number of the “collapsing” pages in the Statistics drop-down.

I have also tested it on my test site on firefox browser but didn’t face the issue.

Could you please share me the page URL from your site where it’s not displaying correctly so that i can troubleshoot it?

It’s happening for all my coworkers running FireFox 46.0.1. It looks fine in IE and Chrome.

Here are some of the pages with the issue (content not pushing max-width):

URLs removed

Here are some of the pages without a problem (with content pushing max width and/or to the point of wrapping):

URLs removed

I could confirm the issue by visiting your shared page on firefox browser.

You can try resolving this issue by adding the following CSS code in the Custom CSS option of the latest version of Sparkling theme on the below path.

Admin Area -> Appearance -> Customize -> Sparkling Options -> Other -> Custom CSS

.row.pull-left {
    min-width: 100%;
}

Movin, you are the best!! This did the trick. No ill effects to our style by updating the Theme and the addition of the CSS code fixed the shifting column. Not many people had noticed the issue, but I am a perfectionist and you’ve made my day. Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much!!
David

You are always welcome here :slight_smile:

Hi again, Movin. Could you remove the URLs from my post May 13, 2016 at 12:10 pm. Although we are locked down by IP, we wouldn’t want anyone figuring out how to get into our staff-only site as it contains some confidential information. Thanks again, everyone is thrilled to see the issue fixed!

Best,
David

I have removed the URLs from that reply :slight_smile:

Thank you, Movin :slight_smile:

You are most welcome :slight_smile: