Some housekeeping before customizing

Hi there,

I’m having a go at the Shapely theme after a couple of years working with another theme. I have created a child theme and have some very basic questions about housekeeping:

-I have created a sub-folder called ‘custom’ to put in custom files. Will anything that I put in there actually be used by the theme? This is how it was done with my previously used theme.
-In this folder, I’d like to put a file called ‘shapely_custom.css’. Will this CSS override the original theme’s CSS then?
-I also put a copy of footer.php in my custom folder and commented out the credit section of the footer. However, the credit remained visible, which leads me to believe the file in my custom folder is not being used, but the original one. How to tackle this?

Hello there,

I hope you are doing well today.

The theme would not be able to use the custom folder unless you change the theme to use that folder.

It would be best to assign any new CSS code to Appearance > Customize > Custom CSS.

A good option would be to use a child theme to make the changes so that the changes are made to the child theme and not the original theme.

Here is a helpful plugin:

Best Regards,
Support

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to refrain from plugins, just edit the theme files instead. The CSS thing you mentioned, okay, I can do that. But what I need to know is, where do I put my child theme php files? just directly in the child theme folder?

Hello there,

I hope you are doing well today.

Yes, you would have to place them in the child them folder using the same file structure as the parent theme.

Best Regards,
Support

Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello there,

It is no problem at all.
Please feel free to contact us again in the future regarding any other issues.

Best Regards,
Support