Sparkling child - style of pages not working correctly

Hello,

I’m trying currently to use a Sparkling child theme to not lose all the changes every time Wordpress updates, however I’ve come across an issue I can’t seem to figure out.

I have currently Child theme activated and whenever I click in menu on either of these pages: ‘Allgemeine Hinweise’, ‘Elberadtouren’, ‘Anfrageformular’ or any new page I create, the whole layout is wrong.

There isn’t supposed to be the sidemenu and the menu icons go weirdly left?

This issue does not appear when the Child theme is not used.

Here’s the webpage with an access key.
http://bednartravel.cz?wpjf3_mr_temp_access_key=8IZP3KOWSBtcoKc8fH09

Thanks for any help!

Hi there

Hope you are having a good day and thank you for your question :slight_smile:
Well, from this point i can’t tell why it’s visible or not, it depends on the configuration of the theme, you have to configure it just lik parent theme,
Can you tell me what changes you have in the child theme?
using child theme is necessary only when you have changes in the files, otherwise no need to use child theme
Thanks!
Colorlib Support Team

Hi, thank you for your answer.

They were made by a Child theme generator plugin. The reason why I want to have a Child theme is because of this code:

function exclude_category( $query ) {
if ( $query->is_home() && $query->is_main_query() ) {
$query->set( 'cat', '-3' );
}
}
add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'exclude_category' );

This code hides in the “Blog section” the category that includes the Main Page Photo.

Otherwise I made custom changes to the CSS but only in the “Customize” section directly on the web, that I suppose is not overwritten everytime Wordpress updates itself? These changes work properly when they are in the “normal” Sparkling theme, not the Child one.

These changes are following:

.flex-caption {
    display: none;
}

@media only screen and (min-width : 240px) {
   .wpcf7-textarea,
   .wpcf7-text {
     max-width: 100%;
     padding: 10px 1px !important;
   }
}

#very-special-field
{
    color: #f00;
    border: 1px solid #808080;
}

Hello there,

I hope you are doing well today.

Please try using this plugin to make the child theme as the child theme you are using may have created troublesome code:

Best Regards,
Support

Hello,

unfortunately, this is the exact plugin I’m using.

I tried deactivating all plugins except this one and then create a child theme, still the same result.

EDIT: The same issue appears on my second webpage that uses Sparkling theme aswell.

Hello there,

When you created the child theme, did you carry over the theme files from the parent? You need to ensure that the child theme has made copies of the function file and stylesheet.

Best Regards,
Support

Hi.

It seems that it’s working.

What I did was copy-paste the whole style.css from the original theme to the style.css of the Child theme (except the header part).

Is that supposed to be done in every Child theme? In that case I didn’t know that.

Thank you so much for help!

Hi there

Well, no problem to do that, :slight_smile:
Is everything ok now?

Unfortnunately I have another issue but I am going to post it in a new thread as it isn’t regarding this.

Ok, I will close this case now, Feel free to contact us again if you have other questions Thanks!