update or not? first create child theme?

Hi,

I’m not very experienced and do everything a bit by trial and error… :slight_smile: Because I read a lot about the newest updates I’m scared to update now and screw up my site. Would you recommend me to make a child theme first? I tried that yesterday but lost quite a lot in the child theme. I mean obviously I made a backup and I had all my own texts and stuff like that, but some things weren’t possible in the child theme or where different than before. For example the text on the front page at the contact section. I couldn’t change it anywhere anymore. I tried to fix it through css, but things got worse, so I went back to the parent theme after a while.
Is it safe to update at this point? The theme and the plugin? And how can I fix these things in the child theme?
Any advice welcome!

Kind regards,
Sofie

I would say dont update yet, if your site is working properly.

there are lots of improvements, but too many issues causes unstable situations

bilge

I use a child theme and with the update version all it is a disaster.

Hi Sofie,

You can easily create the child theme using this, Child Themes « WordPress Codex and change the theme texts using translating the .po files, you can either use Loco Translate – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org or the POEdit.

@iaparicio, Can you create a separate thread and give the link to us, so that we can check what’s going wrong.

Let us know,

Thanks,
laranz.

Hi @laranz
Could you give me acces to the before update Illdy theme? I don’t like the last updated because it is has generated me lot of problems.

Thank you so much

Hi,

Can you list the issues you’re facing, so that it is good for us to get it fixed? Make sure the illdy theme and the illdy companion plugins are up-to-date so that it won’t cause any compatibility issue.

If you still need old version you can get it from here: https://downloads.wordpress.org/theme/illdy.1.0.35.2.zip or use this plugin to rollback WP Rollback – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

Let us know,

Thanks,
laranz.