Version 2.3.2 and child theme?

Hi

I saw some users had problems when updating to the new version 2.3.2. I am correct it is because they didn’t use child theme? I am using some old anonymous child theme and if I update the parent theme does my child theme somehow automatically blend it to the child theme, or “inherit” it’s functions apart from those I have manually tweaked? Or should I create new child theme each time the parent is updated? Or should I somehow manually move some files from the new theme folder(after update) to child theme folders in cPanel and be careful not to over ride the ones where might be some personal modification?

Thank you

Hi @kauno,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

No you don’t need to create new child theme each time the parent is updated because after updating parent theme only parent theme file gets changed and not child theme files but the code in your child theme is not compatible with updated pare theme then you need to also change child theme file but it depends on what is coded in child theme so just take backup of both parent & child theme and update the child theme so that if anything goes wrong then you can revert it.

Best Regards,
Movin

Thanks for the reply. But on question, where is the menu structure saved? Is it on my child theme?(automatically saved code?) I tried the live preview of the new version and the menu was gone as well as the logo(replaced with text only). So should I expect it to be fine as I have child theme?

Should I save both themes just by copying the folders from cPanel to my pc or is there any other way through the WP dashboard?

where is the menu structure saved? Is it on my child theme?(automatically saved code?)

I am not sure what you meant by menu structure.

I tried the live preview of the new version and the menu was gone as well as the logo(replaced with text only).

You have to configure it again from the menus screen and theme options.

So should I expect it to be fine as I have child theme?

Yes you should have child theme.

Should I save both themes just by copying the folders from cPanel to my pc or is there any other way through the WP dashboard?

Yes just do it copying folders.

Sorry, it took some time to get back to this. By menu structure I meant how it’s organized with two tires the way as in some of the Sparkling sticky posts advices, or to have any kind of menu at all after updating. After all I feel unsure updating as I have the idea that “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”.:slight_smile: My site works fine so I don’t see any need of taking a risk to update it. Is there any disadvantages not to update?

Kind regards

If you are comfortable with your current old theme then you don’t need to update the theme and there isn’t any disadvantages of it.