Customizer btns unresponsive, fatal error: undefined function get_theme_mode()

Fresh WP install, simple Illdy child theme, no bells/whistles, etc.

Trying to use the customizer to edit “About” section content. “Text” tab unresponsive, as is the “Edit” button in the WYSIWYG area.

Checked debug.log, found this:

[05-Mar-2019 19:58:33 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_theme_mode() in [site directory]/wp-content/themes/illdy/inc/customizer/customizer.php

Oddly, this error seems to be stuck as the latest and only one. I’ve repeated the steps several times since 19:58:33 UTC but this remains the latest and only error, regardless of how many times I click these unresponsive buttons. Prior to this, I got this error at 19:46 UTC, but none later than the above… can’t get a fresh error, but also still can’t use the UI.

Switching to the default, parent theme and deactivating plugs (except Illdy Companion which is necessary to edit this text) has no effect – these buttons/tabs remain unresponsive. Please see attached screenshot.

Even gone so far as to delete and reinstall Illdy theme, no child theme – no change in behavior and no further errors.

I’m flummoxed. Any way past this?

Hello there

can i check this problem from the backend?
Please use this plugin to create temporary access for us, its automatic login link and does not requires sharing your admin details. here is How To guide. at the and don’t forget about  “Set as private reply” at the bottom of the message box 

Thanks, Noda. Here’s a link:

https://dev.ladottransit.com/newserviceplan/wp-admin/?wtlwp_token=86276610aad0b45b65c1b5a290a134a7

I used the email address listed on your profile.

The main issue seems to be an inability to use the “Text” tab under the entry boxes. I click on the tab and it highlights on press, but doesn’t allow me to work with it.

At this point I’m not sure if the error I’m getting is related or not. I haven’t gotten another one since yesterday, although the issue persists.

Thanks again for the help.

Good morning

Sorry, but this is what i get:

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 401 Authorization Required error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Sorry, I forgot that our development server required a password.

u: ladot
p: lefton

Good morning

Still the same, where do I enter these details?

The entire dev domain is protected though htaccess-set password at the top level. Presumably if you saw that message, you would have encountered a login dialog JS alert style popup (asking for credentials) when you first visit the URL…? See attached for example.

If not – and you just immediately see this message – then maybe the plugin is somehow not compatible with password-protected directories…?

Thanks.

Hello @ilium

No, I can’t see that popup, only the message

p.s. disable that security, not necessary when you developing the site