Default thumbnail for Popular Posts

As you know, the built-in Popular Posts widget in Sparkling displays a thumbnail for each link.

However, it displays a blank image when the post has no featured image, and this looks bad.

I’d like to set a default thumbnail for posts that have no featured image. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Hi @slobjones,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You have to develop custom code in the child theme of Sparking theme to achieve this.

The easiest solution is to do this using CSS code by applying background image.

Could you please share me your site URL where it’s displaying and also share me the default image URL so that i can help you to achieve it?

Kind Regards,
Movin

Movin:

Site isn’t live yet, so no link to share. I don’t see how that’s relevant to my question, regardless.

Why a background image? I’m simply asking for an option to provide a default thumbnail that will display with the Popular Posts widget if the entry does not include a featured image.

A default thumbnail is a standard feature of the original Popular Posts plugin, as well as most of the “related posts” plugins available via WordPress.

I have notified this to the theme developer by creating feature request for it on the following page.

The feature request will be developed in the future version of theme.

I have notified this to the theme developer by creating feature request for it on the following page.

The feature request will be developed in the future version of theme.

Very good!

In the meantime, I’m using the WordPress Popular Posts plugin and have applied some of the border-radius, margin and transition CSS you’re using with Sparkling Popular Posts.

You are most welcome here :slight_smile: