Excerpt On Every Post

Hi Activello,

On the homepage each post is shortened so that visitors can scroll down to see all the articles which is great, however, when you click through to the actual post it is only the excerpt that is still shown without any option to read more. I’ve attached a screengrab.

Ideally, i would like to set it back to how it was before where when you click on the post the entire post is revealed without any ‘read more’ button to click or excerpt.

As always thanks for your help

Hey there,
I hope you’re doing well today

From your WordPress Dashboard, go to
Settings > Reading
Check to see if Full Text is selected for the “For each article in a feed” option.

Best Regards,
Support

I have checked and it is selected.
Thanks

Hello there,

Please try this, edit a post then look on the upper right hand side of the screen and click “Screen Options” and deselect the “Exxcerpt” checkbox.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Support

Hi,

This is also not selected. Is there something else i can try?

Thanks

Hi,

Did you edit your theme via Child theme, in that case make sure check the file template-parts/content-single.php inside your child theme, temporarily try to switch that to parent theme and see that fixes the issue.

Nothing worked means, pass us the WP Login details, we will check what’s going wrong.

Let us know,

Thanks,
laranz.

Hi Laranz,

I am using a child theme. How do I switch back to the parent theme without losing my CSS updates etc? I have a content.php file with the following inside. Let me know if the below is helpful otherwise i’ll send you a username and password. Thanks,

<?php
/**

• @package activello
    */
    ?>

<article id=“post-<?php the_ID(); ?>” <?php post_class(); ?>>

<a>" rel="bookmark"&gt;</a>

"', '"', false )
						),
						'',
						''
					);
				?&gt;

&lt;!-- .entry-meta --&gt;
			&lt;?php endif; ?&gt;
		&lt;/header&gt;&lt;!-- .entry-header --&gt;

<a>" title="&lt;?php the_title_attribute(); ?&gt;" &gt;
                &lt;?php the_post_thumbnail( 'activello-featured', array( 'class' =&gt; 'single-featured' )); ?&gt;
        </a>

&lt;?php if ( is_search() ) : // Only display Excerpts for Search ?&gt;

<a>"&gt;</a>
		&lt;!-- .entry-summary --&gt;
		&lt;?php else : ?&gt;

''.esc_html__( 'Pages:', 'activello' ),
				'after'             =&gt; '',
				'link_before'       =&gt; '&lt;span&gt;',
				'link_after'        =&gt; '&lt;/span&gt;',
				'pagelink'          =&gt; '%',
				'echo'              =&gt; 1
					) );
			?&gt;

&lt;?php if( ! is_single() &amp;&amp; get_theme_mod( 'activello_excerpts', 1 ) ) : ?&gt;

<a>" title=""&gt;</a>

&lt;?php endif; ?&gt;

&lt;?php if ( ! post_password_required() &amp;&amp; ( comments_open() || '0' != get_comments_number() ) ) : ?&gt;

&lt;!-- .entry-footer --&gt;
                            &lt;?php endif; ?&gt;
		&lt;/div&gt;&lt;!-- .entry-content --&gt;
		&lt;?php endif; ?&gt;
	&lt;/div&gt;
&lt;/div&gt;

</article><!-- #post-## →

Hey there,
I hope you’re doing well today

First make a back up of your current WordPress website.
you can use all in one migration plugin to do this. All-in-One WP Migration – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

Copy the custom CSS from the child theme, activate the parent theme, and paste the code in if necessary.

Best Regards,
Support

If possible i’d like to continue using a child theme. If I do the above will that mean I won’t have that?
Thanks,

Please replace your following child theme files if exists

/template-parts/content.php
/template-parts/content-single.php

With the following code respectively.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/puikinsh/Activello/master/template-parts/content.php
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/puikinsh/Activello/master/template-parts/content-single.php

Hi,
This didn’t work. I’m happy to create a login and password for you to take a look if that’s easier.

Thanks,

Ok then could you please share me your site log in details privately by checking the option “Set as private reply” when replying to this topic?

Thank you please use:
Username: colorlib
Password: Colorlib2@3£4$

Thank you for sharing login details but it is of no use because the shared user is subscriber and not admin so please make the shared user role to admin so that i can troubleshoot the issue.

Sorry i have now updated this. Thanks

Could you please check your site now?

I have resolved the issue by editing following code snippet in your child theme content.php file.

<?php
				if ( ! is_single() &&  get_theme_mod( 'activello_excerpts', 1 ) && get_the_excerpt() != "" ) :
					the_excerpt();
				else :
					the_content();
				endif;
			  ?>

Thank you that’s perfect!

You are most welcome here :slight_smile: