Font awesome unicode on class

Hi,

I want to add an icon to links belonging to a certain class. I saw the answer you gave to someone else wanting to add an icon through css and it worked great for me too. In the example you showed how to add a facebook icon '\f09a' but when I try to show a paw icon instead, it only displays the unicode, not the paw :frowning:

Any idea what Iā€™m doing wrong?

This is the code I got from the font awesome cheatsheet.
fa-paw [ļ†°]

Hereā€™s my code (works great for facebook icon, not so great for paw icon):

a.simple-link:before {
    font-family: fontawesome;
    content: '[ļ†°]';   
}

Thanks!

Okay so clearly I canā€™t write the unicode in the forum, but I hope it makes sense anyway.

Font Awesome icons on friday got updated to 4.1 and your mentioned icon is on this update, so it wonā€™t work. I will soon update this theme with FontAwesome 4.1 icons but for now you have to live with ā€œoldā€ 4.0.3 library.

Okay, thank you for your help. I look forward to the update!

Okay so I updated the theme and now the icon works if I write it in <i></i> tags. But I still canā€™t get the unicode to work through css.

This is what I have.

a.simple-link:before {
    font-family: fontawesome;
    content: '[ļ†°]';   
}

I canā€™t seem to write the unicode in the forum. But here it is with a space between every character.

[ & # x f 1 b 0 ; ]

Sorry about thatā€¦

Where did you get this kind of unicode?

It should be content: "\f1b0"

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I got the code from the cheatsheet, but obviously I found something else entirely.

Where can I find the type of code you gave me?

Thanks again, this has been driving me crazy.

Below icon you can see Unicode: f1b0

You need to add quotes and slash but you can use Google Chrome DevTools to inspect icon itself and you will get exact code which you can copy/paste

See example: https://colorlib.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/05/font-awesome-paw.png

Great, thanks!