Footer.php problem

Hi there!

I went to edit my Activello child theme today, and saw the attached error message at the top of the “appearance” page.

So, I went into the Theme Editor to add the proper code to the parent theme’s footer.php page, and - as you can see in the second shot, I found the footer.php page empty. So, obviously, I have no footer at all on my website right now.

When I went to add the little code snippet to footer.php, I got the final error message, and can’t seem to update anything through the Theme Editor.

Do you know why this might be happening?? Would love to have a functioning footer again…

My website is www.tworestlesshomebodies.com, if you need to verify.

Hi,

Just try this, open up the parent theme and then go to footer.php and copy its content and then paste the same content into your footer.php in your child theme, it seems you don’t have anything in the footer.php, optionally you can delete the file from the child theme itself, that will also work.

Let us know,

Thanks,
laranz.

Hi Laranz. So, the screenshot I attached of the empty footer.php IS in the parent theme - I don’t have a footer.php in the child theme because I haven’t needed any mods up to now. I don’t have any footer code anywhere, for absolutely no reason that I can think of (I haven’t done anything to any footer docs in the editor). That’s why I’m so confused! :\

So, the missing footer content is one thing… but do I need to create a separate thread for the fact that - as shown in the final screenshot from my first post in this thread - that I can’t seem to make edits to ANY files in either the parent or child theme?!

To fix the footer problem or to do anything else - I just get the same error: “Unable to communicate back with site to check for fatal errors, so the PHP change was reverted. You will need to upload your PHP file change by some other means, such as by using SFTP.”

Okay. If I could delete my previous comment, I would. I got on LiveChat with my host and they figured out the footer problem was happening because of my recent update to PHP 7. Go figure. Thanks anyway!

Hi, there

Ok I will now close the topic and mark it as resolved.
Feel free to contact us again Thanks!