Header and menu broken after update to 2.3.5

I recently updated my site from 2.3.2 to 2.3.5 and it totally blew the header/menu layout and some mobile functionality.
The positioning of the dropdown arrow is forcing the menu bar to be way too tall, the spacing in the dropdown menu is way too wide, all of my hover colors are being overwritten. On mobile (android) it’s even worse- the dropdown function is broken. Instead of opening the submenu it goes directly to the link that should be disabled on mobile…

Site with problems running Sparkling 2.3.5 - http://343.f23.myftpupload.com/
Same site the way it should look/work running Sparkling 2.3.2 - https://ruthwestreichtheartist.com/

It is a very similar problem as mieniknet had on this locked thread- https://colorlibsupport.com/t/problem-after-update-do-2-3-5/ In this old thread you said the issue was fixed in the latest version, but I just updated a couple of days ago and I still have the problem. I have no caching plugins. I do have a child theme, and I already updated my custom php files to match version 2.3.5. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi @tmgdesigns,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

This can be child theme issue on your site so to confirm it just temporary use the Sparkling theme instead of child theme on your site. If everything works fine then it’s your child theme issue.

Best Regards,
Movin

Then why does my child theme work perfectly before the update? And why would several people have exactly the same problem? Something in the update broke the menu. What changes did you make? Would you at least update the changelog on the Sparkling theme page (looks like the last update to the changelog was in 2015) so I can see what was changed that caused the problem? I have a very bare bones child theme with very few changes other than styles.css.

Movin, another one with same problem, just registered to add my few cents worth.

There seems to be a change in the menu functionality between the two versions:

• In the old menu the entire width of dropdown was clickable and changed colour on hover.
  • In the new menu, only the actual text is a link/clickable. The menu has another layer, though, across the entire width, which changes color on hover, but is not clickable - so it does not follow the colour customisations for the link/hover, which were enough for the version before. This would be invisible to user in the deafult theme, as both of your colours are the same (hover background and hover link). Hovewer it shows up to us who have overriden the default colours in the style.css for the child theme.

So to sum it up:

• nothing wrong with the base theme, just a change of doing things.
  • change needs to be added to the customised child theme - agreed.

If you can, please, point us to what is the element for the menu background, it would save us some time diging through the updated stylesheet and comparing the change. Otherwise all good, I will post it back if I figure it out.
But at this stage I have also rolled back to the backup of previous version, as I like the old way the menu was done better (hover/link over the entire width). Will need to lookup a changelog somewhere, to see wha t else I might be missing without the update.

Anyway - thanks for an awesome base theme - I love it.

@tmgdesigns Yes the theme is updated and it has changed code to enhance theme and fix some bugs therefore you might have faced the issue as you are using child theme which may not sync with theme.

We do update theme changelog in the theme readme.txt file as shown in the attached screenshot.

@miro Thank you for your feedback and detailed reply.

Could you please share me your site URL where the issue is displaying and tell me exactly what color you want to apply on menu background so that i can help you to achieve it?

Hello,
Sorry I am new to this forum. Hi!

Anyway - I have this issue also. I have worked a fix that you can apply to the child style.
Basically, the caret is sitting below the menu item. Because the menu item USED to be an inline-block but is now a block.
Hence the caret sits below the menu item.

Change the menu item to be an inline-block and it works:
.nav li a{display:inline-block;}
Note, for me, I also applied this to make it present better:
padding: 2px 2px !important;

I cannot say this is the “proper fix”. But it works and might get you out of a pickle.
Maybe the heros at colorlib can remedy this in 2.3.6?

Regards

@essdee Actually we don’t face this issue using latest version of theme.

Users are facing this because of child theme they are using or due to cache so please check whether you are facing issue due to any of these reasons.

If not then could you please share me your site URL where it’s happening so that i can troubleshoot it?

Hi

I’ve got the same problem. I’m using the basic Sparkling theme and the hover menu has dropped out of position, so it’s not a Child theme issue. But I’m now using a child theme to sort it out, as per advice above. Thanks @essdee , your solution works!

@jocando Could you please share me your site URL where it’s happening so that i can troubleshoot it?

I had similar problems to this. I updated to the latest Sparkling Theme from the previous and the menu didn’t work on mobile.
I followed a conversation thread, which suggested uninstalling, then re-installing the Sparkling theme, which I did.

However, once I did this, not only did this nor resolve the menu issue, but all of my sidebar widgets were empty?!!

I’m currently waiting on a back-up of a previous version of the site from my host… nightmare!!

@dave74 Could you please share me your site URL where it’s happening so that i can troubleshoot it?

@movin
Sorry for the tardy response. Sadly, I cannot fiddle with themes on the target site, sorry, as it’s not my site. I was merely trying to fix it for the owner. Hence, I am not able to apply the “non-child” theme.
As I said before, in an earlier revision (and I still have revision this on an internal dev system) the menu item was an inline-block element, and in the latest revision it appears to be a block. Hence the caret got shifted under the block (as you would expect).

Because its not my site (it is for a UK charity), I would rather not share the URL. I could do so on a private email, as long as the URL remains private.
I hope I can help some more,
Best regards
essdee

@essdee Yes i can confirm it was the issue with older version of theme but not anymore using latest version of theme.

So if you are facing issue in the latest theme version then please share me your site privately by checking the option “Set as private reply” when replying to this topic so that i can troubleshoot it.

@movin
OK, I see. As I understand automatic updates are enabled (as that’s how the theme was updated to produce this error).

At this stage - I am not minded to update the theme. Stability is king!!!
I have applied a CSS fix and whenever the theme updates I can quickly test by removing the CSS statement.

The url is www.shopmobilityhighwycombe.co.uk
However, as I say, I am reluctant to tamper any more until I simply just have to:-)
But let me know the deal anyway!

By the way - I just want to thank you for the support here. It is not often when one gets such fine support these days.

@essdee You are most welcome here :slight_smile:

Please advise if yo need any help.

Have a fantastic day!