Multiple H1 headings?

Hi!
I have been playing around with your two great themes: shapely and sparkling. In both cases the themes seems to define multiple H1 headings (which I understand is not desirable):

Thus on for instance this page: http://mein-katzenhaus.de/2016/04/07/name-of-site/

I end up with

H1 Name of Site
H1 Heading I (this is my actual heading)
H1 Post Navigation

Is this intended? How can I fix it, so that only those parts of my posts which I manually define as such get a H1 tag?

Hi machmanto,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I have already answered you for the shapely theme on your following topic.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/multipleautomatic-h1-headings/#post-51736

The latest version of Sparkling theme displays only one H1 tag on the page so could you please describe it a bit more in detail where you are getting multiple H1 tags and also share me the page URL from your site where it’s displaying?

Best Regards,
Movin

I am having a similar issue has there been any resolution for this?

@deverett Could you please check my following reply posted previously?

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/multiple-h1-headings/#post-51966

Hi @Movin, I have read your response in the Shapely forum, and I’ve downloaded the child theme you mentioned and read through both the functions.php and the CSS. However, I must admit that I am completely new to child themes, coding, etc. as I imagine many of this theme’s users are, and I am very confused.

It feels a bit like looking at a document in a foreign language, one I’m trying to learn, but in which I am still not able to speak a sentence. So trying to read the answer for Shapely and apply it to Sparkling is unfortunately beyond my (OUR) skill level.

I am a casual Wordpress user who tends to not touch the code aspects unless I must. The only reason I know that I’m having the same problem as the people above is by having analyzed my site using the free tool Screaming Frog SEO Spider as part of a class I am taking. That tool tells me 43 of my post have the 2nd H1 header known as “post navigation”. I’ve included just one relevant link below as an example, and I’ve attached a screen grab from the program which shows the second H1 tag being used.

spainlandia.com/2015/01/09/like-game-thrones-youll-love-isabel/

I have downloaded and installed the sample empty “sparkling-child” theme that Mr. Aigars posted in the Sticky folder. However, honestly, I don’t know what to write to fix the H1 issue nor which section to write it in. I fear I am not the only total beginner who is confused by this, and I would be greatly appreciative of any help and support you would be willing to offer.

Could perhaps one of these three options work?

1.) Update the master Sparkling theme to remove the duplicate H1 issue
2.) Post specific language that can be copied and pasted into either the child functions.php or child CSS, depending on where it goes. (As a novice, I have no idea!)
3.) Direct users of the Sparkling theme to an online resource where we can figure out how to build the child themes. I didn’t find much information in the theme’s existing documentation about this.

Many thanks to Colorlib for this lovely theme. I hope my Wordpress knowledge level eventually grows large enough to do it justice.

@spainlandia To help us keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/shapely/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Hello,

I have the Sparkling theme running and also get two H1 headings in my posts. One is in title, another is in post navigation:

<h1 class="screen-reader-text">Post navigation</h1>

How do I change it to h6 for example?

@czlowiek To help us keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/sparkling/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

@Movin, I will.

@czlowiek Thank you

Hi @@czlowiek, had this problem been fixed yet? I have upgraded themes to the newest version(it should be v2.2.2), but this problem still exist. The system has automatically add “h1” tags to the previous post and next post on every post page. I cannot find out where to change this, on “content-single.php”, “single.php” or “style.css”?

@dannyyang, no changes so far…

@czlowiek, I have finally solved this problems. You just need to select “comment.php”, search “screen-reader-text” and change the “h1” ahead it to what you want.

If still don’t take effect, change the “h1” under the “template-tags.php” too, I have changed all of them.

@dannyyang

had this problem been fixed yet? I have upgraded themes to the newest version(it should be v2.2.2), but this problem still exist. The system has automatically add “h1” tags to the previous post and next post on every post page. I cannot find out where to change this, on “content-single.php”, “single.php” or “style.css”?

Sparkling theme is built on a skeleton underscores theme provided by WordPress.org developers, and they had that tag set to be an h1 – it has something to do with screen readers for when blind users use your website.

I have still notified the theme developer about it so that it will be changed in the future version of theme.

In the meanwhile you can try changing this to h6 tag by using the attached custom child theme of Sparkling theme that contains some custom code.