navigation bar drop down stopped working + images gone

Hi!
After the update, my website vanished- white screen. Most my plugins were also gone from the admin panel. I contacted the host and they reset to an earlier time, most things started working, I updated all plugins plus the Dazzling theme. But right now there are two things still not working:

1. the navigation bar drop down is not working. Nothing happens when I click.
  2. most of the pictures links are broken and I see that they are gone from the folders, those folders are empty or nearly empty on the server. Is it even possible that images get erased from the server?? I had copies to some of the images and I’m now working on manually replacing them- it’s a lot of work!

At this point the host support made a check and said that it’s the theme that has caused the issues.
My website is www.openone.net
Can you please help? Thank you!

Hi @araca,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

The theme update had caused the issue which is resolved in the latest version of theme as described in the following thread but it didn’t cause any issue on the site like you.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/update-causes-white-screen-of-death/#post-49038

After the update, my website vanished- white screen. Most my plugins were also gone from the admin panel.

Have you updated the theme or WordPress on your site?

If the theme then what was your old and new updated versions?

The theme update can’t delete images or plugins on your site. It must be happening due to other reasons.

1) the navigation bar drop down is not working. Nothing happens when I click.

Yes i could confirm the issue on your site but it’s working fine on my test site using latest version of Dazzling theme.

This can be due to plugin conflict on your site so please try temporary deactivating all plugins and see whether everything works fine and then enable the plugins one by one to see which plugin is conflicting if any.

2) most of the pictures links are broken and I see that they are gone from the folders, those folders are empty or nearly empty on the server. Is it even possible that images get erased from the server?? I had copies to some of the images and I’m now working on manually replacing them- it’s a lot of work!

You must find out what caused this issue. This can be due to the process of resetting performed by your web host or due to virus or malware so please check it first and fix it then restore it again using backup if you have any.

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

thank you for the kind response. I had not updated anything when this whole issue happened, so it is impossible to say what caused it, but I think I have some auto-updating enabled and so when the host told me it’s “a theme issue” I contacted you.

Anyway- here’s how it went, for anyone who might need the tip:

• the navigation bar started to work again when I changed the Easy Bootstrap Shortcode settings which had been changed when the host restored my website. I found instructions for correct settings of EBS with Dazzling here: Dazzling Theme Documentation - Colorlib

• the images are gone from the server (just as you said, Movin) but I had copies and I replaced them manually

The only problem I haven’t been able to fix is that the Dazzling Child has stopped uploading both style and functions. I have deleted and reinstalled the Child and it still doesn’t work, have also unsuccessfully tried the tips I found here: https://colorlibsupport.com/t/dazzling-child-theme/

So for now I’ve changed the styling through Edit CSS and added things to the Dazzling function.php file, but if you have any idea of how to make the Dazzling Child work again I’d be grateful. I’d prefer to not need to reinstall the main Dazzling theme because of all the settings I might need to redo and my time is right now too short for that.

Thanks and best wishes!

Awesome great to see you got that resolved.

The only problem I haven’t been able to fix is that the Dazzling Child has stopped uploading both style and functions.

Could you please share me your child theme so that i can troubleshoot it on my test site and resolve the issues in it?

Thank you Movin, I’d much appreciate that! I am trying to attaching the style and function files to this message but I keep getting a Sucuri WebSite Firewall - CloudProxy - Access Denied message. How else can I share the files with you?

You should zip your child theme folder and then share that zip file by uploading it here or sharing it on online file sharing service like Google drive, Dropbox etc.

Here it is!

I have made some changes in the shared child theme and it’s working fine for me.

I have attached the modified child theme to this reply so that you can use it on your site.

Thank you Movin, I removed the code from the CSS Stylesheet Editor, tried the new child-theme files and it still won’t work. There must be something else that causes the child theme to not load. Any other ideas?

Just delete the child theme on your site and use the child theme that i have shared.

If it still doesn’t work for you then would you mind if i log in to your site and do some troubleshooting? If this is ok then could you please share me your site log in details privately by checking the option “Set as private reply” when replying to this topic?

Hi again Movin,

I did as you described: deleted the child theme, replaced with your files, it still doesn’t work.
I would be very grateful if you wanted to troubleshoot!

Here is an admin login for you:
Username: Movin
email: [email protected]
Password: Pa33word4movin
The website is www.openone.net
Thank you so much for your help!

Best wishes, Aurora

Thanks for sharing your site credentials.

I logged in to your site and activated the Dazzling child theme but after that i can’t access your site front end or back end.

Is this the issue you are facing?

I am getting the 500 internal server error message that you can try fixing as described on the below pages.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-fix-the-internal-server-error-in-wordpress/ http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/wordpress/how-to-fix-the-internal-server-error-in-wordpress

Thank you, no, that has never happened before. I tried all the tips in the link you sent and nothing worked. So I contacted the host and they set another theme for now, which restored access.

This is the report I got from the host:
PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare exclude_category() (previously declared in /home1/auroraca/public_html/openone/wp-content/themes/dazzling-child/functions.php:18) in /home1/auroraca/public_html/openone/wp-content/themes/dazzling/functions.php on line 337

I’d like to say that when the child theme didn’t work I did the following:

• I changed the styling through Edit CSS
  • I added some functions that I needed at the end of the Dazzling function.php

Don’t know if this has anything to do with the recent error, but thought that I’d mention it.

So how do I get the Dazzling theme back- the site looks terrible right now… I don’t dare activate the theme. Please help :slight_smile:

OK, I reactivated the Dazzling theme and all went well. I think it’s best if you take over from here, maybe it will be more clear to you now why the child theme is not working.

I’d like to say that when the child theme didn’t work I did the following: – I changed the styling through Edit CSS – I added some functions that I needed at the end of the Dazzling function.php

Don’t know if this has anything to do with the recent error, but thought that I’d mention it.

Yes it has to do with the error so please delete any changes you made in the Dazzling theme or just delete this theme and install the new Dazzling theme that will not contain the changes.

Let me know after doing this so that i can log in to your site and activate the Dazzling child theme to troubleshoot it.

It’s done now!

I activated the Dazzling child theme on your site and saw that both theme files are loading in the site and the site is displaying fine as shown in the attached screenshots.

Are you not getting the same result?

If not then try clearing your browser cache or using different browser.

I don’t know who did what and when but you are right, it’s working perfectly well now!:slight_smile:
The problem was that the child theme didn’t load after the big website crash and so I had to place both extra functions and CSS in main theme and CSS editor. Whenever I removed them from there and returned them to the child theme it stopped working, they didn’t load.

But of some reason… now it works :slight_smile: I am very grateful for your support through it and for the solution coming in any way it wanted! Thank you and best wishes!

You are most welcome here :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile:
I guess we can declare this issue resolved…