Post slider only showing "featured image"? Replace with Revolution slider

Hi there, thanks for a great theme.

Im trying to make a post-slider or post-carousel with images from the posts showing. But I need to add the image in the posts by “add media” and not “featured image”. How can I use this image in the sliders/carousels? It seems that all post sliders only use the featured image?

Thanks!

This theme uses featured images for slider and there is no settings to add regular images that are inside post content. The thing is that this kind of solution would require a lot of other settings to make it work with post content images. For example: which image would be shown in slider if you would have dozens of images inside your post? Why to use full size images inside post content if it is around 700px wide but slider is much bigger than that.

There are two possible other alternatives:

1. Replace slider with some plugin such as Meta Slider.
  2. Create slider manually using a simple HTML and here is an example.
    This tutorial for Dazzling theme but the only difference is that instead of looking for <?php dazzling_featured_slider(); ?> you should look for <?php sparkling_featured_slider(); ?>

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks mate! Quick follow-up question: My featured images get cropped when used as “featured image”. Where can I change this to be unlimited? (or bigger at least)

Thanks for the quick answer

You can change the size for featured images by editing this line of code inside functions.php file.

add_image_size( 'sparkling-featured', 750, 410, true );

I don’t think that you want to change width of featured images as content area is only 750px wide. To get uncropped images just reduced second value (height) to something high such as 9999 now you will get 750px wide images that are never cropped but just resized for performance purpose.

So the final function will look like this:

add_image_size( 'sparkling-featured', 750, 9999, true );

Now you will have to regenerate thumbnails as WordPress won’t for it for you for existing images. For that you can use this plugin. Images that you will add after you have changed values inside functions.php file will resized automatically.

Its working! :slight_smile: Thanks alot for the support

Hello,

Tell me please it is possible to change the slider on revolution slider?

@colorwave

Yes, you can use Revolution slider with Sparkling WordPress theme.

Just add shortcode like this in place where you want your slider to appear once you have it installed and configured:

<?php echo do_shortcode( '[rev_slider homepage]' ); ?>

This is just an example and you will get a different shortcode with different idea but the ide will still remain the same.

To replace existing slider with revolution slider you can use above mentioned shortcode inside header.php adding it right after this line of code

<?php sparkling_featured_slider(); ?>

thanks, its working. but Revolution slider now on all pages((
I have only just the home page…

You can use WordPress conditional tags to display slider only on selected pages. Here is an example:

<?php 
	if ( is_front_page() ) {
		echo do_shortcode( '[rev_slider homepage]' ); 
	}
?>

For more conditional tags you can check official WordPress documentation.

Great! Its working!
Thanks master!))