Remove links from slider

Hello, great job on the theme – perhaps the best free theme I have ever seen regarding capabilities and documentation. I have only 1 question though. How can I deactivate the links to the posts from the slider without editing code? And if I have to use code (which is fine, I am using a child theme always) what is the exact editing I need to do? I noticed that it is a function called at header.php to form the slider. So I am guessing I have to edit something in functions.php. So, what do I have to write on the child theme’s functions.php to overwrite it?

This can be easily done via Child Theme. Add this code to Child Theme functions.php file and this function will overwrite default slider function and this function no longer have active link that points to these posts.

if ( ! function_exists( 'sparkling_featured_slider' ) ) :
/**
 * Featured image slider, displayed on front page for static page and blog
 */
function sparkling_featured_slider() {
  if ( is_front_page() && of_get_option( 'sparkling_slider_checkbox' ) == 1 ) {
    echo '<div class="flexslider">';
      echo '<ul class="slides">';
        $count = of_get_option( 'sparkling_slide_number' );
        $slidecat =of_get_option( 'sparkling_slide_categories' );
        $query = new WP_Query( array( 'cat' =>$slidecat,'posts_per_page' =>$count ) );
        if ($query->have_posts()) :
          while ($query->have_posts()) : $query->the_post();
          echo '<li>';
            if ( (function_exists( 'has_post_thumbnail' )) && ( has_post_thumbnail() ) ) :
              echo get_the_post_thumbnail();
            endif;
              echo '<div class="flex-caption">';
                  if ( get_the_title() != '' ) echo '<h2 class="entry-title">'. get_the_title().'</h2>';
                  if ( get_the_excerpt() != '' ) echo '<div class="excerpt">' . get_the_excerpt() .'</div>';
              echo '</div>';
              endwhile;
            endif;
          echo '</li>';
      echo '</ul>';
    echo ' </div>';
  }
}
endif;

Make sure to use opening and closing PHP tags like this <?php ?> if this is the only function in your Child Theme functions.php file.