Show More in the Read More Version

Hello,

I currently have post excerpts turned on, but I would like more of my post to show up instead of just a snippet. Is there any way I could make half of my post show up instead? Or a way to control the number of characters showing before the “Read More” button?

Please and thank you.

HI @thesophiaideas,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can achieve this by adding custom post excerpt text having specific length in the post Excerpt field as described on the following page.

Best Regards,
Movin

Hi Movin,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, this solution does not work for me because when I put <!–more–> in the post, it takes away the [READ MORE] link. Is there any way I could have the post excerpt controlled to end where I’d like it to and the [READ MORE] link still appear?

Thank you so much for your help.

I have tested it and it is working fine for me on my test site.

Could you please share me your site URL where it is not working so that i can troubleshoot it?

Hi Movin,

My URL is http://thesophiaideas.com/

Thank you for your help. I currently have Post Excerpts turned on and I have inserted the <!–more–> tag in the Text version of the post in the spot I’d like the excerpt to cut off at. Is this right? Because it’s not showing the [READ MORE] link and it just cuts the post off there which might make readers think that is where the post ends. Thank you for helping!

I can see the Read More link on your shared site as shown in the attached screenshot.

If you are talking about the small posts displayed at the bottom then you can try displaying the Read More on it by adding the following CSS code in the Custom CSS option of your theme on the below path.

Admin Area -> Appearance -> Customize -> Activello Options -> Other -> Custom CSS

.blog.home #page article.post .read-more {
    display: block;
}

Hi Movin,

Thank you for your help but what I actually mean is that I’d like to be able to control how much of my post shows up before the Read More link. I turned post excerpts off and used the <!–more–> code in the Text version of the post, but then this is what happens (see screenshot). The Read More link is gone and readers won’t know to click to read the rest of the post. Is there any way I could both control the point at which the post cuts off AND have the Read More link appear?

Please let me know and once again thank you so much for all of your help.

Please reproduce the issue on your site so that i can troubleshoot it.

Thanks for all of your help Movin. I was actually able to solve the problem using this video! How to Customize WordPress Excerpts No Coding Required - YouTube

You are most welcome here :slight_smile: