Slider Link

Hi There,

I was hoping for some help. I really like the Sparkling theme, but I would like the option to have the images in the slider link to pages other than blog posts. For example, I would like the slider image to point to a blog category page so I can feature a series of blogs instead of one particular post.

I have installed a child theme, but I am stuck there. Any ideas on how I could make this slider work for me in this way? I still want the normal Title text and blog text to overlay over the slider image, but I want a click to take me to the category page.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @stalecrouton,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

You can achieve this by overwriting the function sparkling_featured_slider in your child theme as described in this reply https://colorlibsupport.com/t/how-do-i-get-only-1-slider-image-that-doesnt-link-to-other-blog-posts/#post-27625 and then add the category page URL in the href attribute of the anchor tag as following in that function code.

echo '<li><a href="http://yoursite.com/category/category-name/">';

Best Regards,
Movin

Thanks Movin! I actually went one further and got it to be a little more dynamic. I made a custom field called slider_link that I apply to blogs that I want in the slider and the slider uses that link. That way I can send people to multiple pages. It could be refined further and I’ll probably keep poking at it, but here is my solution for anybody that wants it.

if ( ! function_exists( 'sparkling_featured_slider' ) ) :
/**
 * Featured image slider, displayed on front page for static page and blog
 */
function sparkling_featured_slider() {
  if ( is_front_page() && of_get_option( 'sparkling_slider_checkbox' ) == 1 ) {
    echo '<div class="flexslider">';
      echo '<ul class="slides">';

$count = of_get_option( 'sparkling_slide_number' );
        $slidecat =of_get_option( 'sparkling_slide_categories' );

$query = new WP_Query( array( 'cat' =>$slidecat ,'posts_per_page' =>$count ) );
        if ($query->have_posts()) :
          while ($query->have_posts()) : $query->the_post();

echo '<li><a href="'. get_post_meta(get_the_id(), 'slider_link', true) .'">';
            if ( (function_exists( 'has_post_thumbnail' )) && ( has_post_thumbnail() ) ) :
              echo get_the_post_thumbnail();
            endif;

echo '<div class="flex-caption">';
                  if ( get_the_title() != '' ) echo '<h2 class="entry-title">'. get_the_title().'</h2>';
				  if ( get_the_excerpt() != '' ) echo '<div class="excerpt">' . get_the_excerpt() .'</div>';
              echo '</div>';
			echo '</a>';
              endwhile;
            endif;

echo '</li>';
      echo '</ul>';
    echo ' </div>';
  }
}
endif; 

Hi @stalecrouton,

Thanks for sharing the solution in the forum.

Actually i have already developed the similar solution previously as shared in the following thread.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/slider-only-having-one-categorie/#post-27206

Cheers,
Movin