Social icons in Menu

Hello,

Is it possible to display social icons in the header right of the menu?

if so, how can I do this?

Kind regards,

Luuk

I too have been trying to do this and a search bar to my header as well. My research tells me that I could add another widget area to the header by modifying the functions.php to have a new widget area and then adding a line of code to the header.php to find that new widget area. there are lots of social icon widgets that would do a great job.

The problem is that I don’t know where in the header.php I should insert the code

here is the code for the header:
<?php if ( !function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’) || !dynamic_sidebar(‘header-sidebar’) ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?>

What I have found is that any answer given by the Dazzling folks is that us free users are out of luck.

It seems that in this social world that we live in social buttons and a search bar should be a standard thing for theme headers.

My site is found a www.advocatesforschooltrustlands.org and I am using Dazzling-child theme. My temporary workaround for this is to add a header with social and search on every page. This is difficult because it means that when I want to add or change any icon I have to make the change to the widget on each page.

Please help us by either teaching us how to add a widget area OR making those items part of the theme.
Thank you in advance. I am sure that we are not the only ones seeking this help.

HEY I just found something. I was trying to use a plugin to add the searchbar into the nav menu when I spied this: There is a place to customize a link to go into your header. Link the facebook URL (or other social links) here and label it Facebook. Then you can add an icon to this menu item. search for the facebook icon and then look for the checkbox to hide the label. Now only the facebook icon shows up in your menu and the bonus is that it is colored the same as your other menu text items. Do the same for all your other social icon needs. Cool! It is a DIY solution. no plugins requires.

Now if I could just get this darn search bar to be there and wrap below my menu. Wish me luck!!

Hi,

Great this works for you. but in the menu. I dont have the option to ad a icon to a link. So problem for me is not solved yet…

I’m sorry. Looks like I was using a plugin to do what I did. I didn’t realize. It is called Custom Menu by Evolonix. It hasn’t been updated for some time but it is working great for me here.
I will include a screen shot from my Apperance>Menu editor in the Dashboard so that you can see exactly what I did with this plugin and where. I had to use some CSS code to get the space reduced around the icons. But, I really like how it turned out.
I am using Dazzling-child theme. It you don’t have a custom link in menu option (should be standard) for your theme then perhaps this plugin would work for you. This allows you to add an external link to your navigation menus. If you do have the option for adding an external menu item but not an icon there may also be a plugin that would add the functionality for you.
I’m not a developer - just another user trying to make my way here.
Hopefully someone official will come along to help you specifically.
Until then, Best wishes!
Lisa

Yep! Sure enough… my options were because of an plugin too.
I didn’t create this site, I just took over for someone else so… sometime I don’t know what is standard and what isn’t. but I found the plugin that is giving me these great results. It is called Menu Icons by Dzikri Aziz. Works slick! Remember to find where you can hide the label so that only the icon shows for the custom link.
Good Luck!

Hi Luuk,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The theme doesn’t display social icons in the header but you can display it by using the workaround solution shared in the following topic.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/align-social-icons-at-the-top-next-to-menu-names/

Best Regards,
Movin

Thanks all,

made it work

You are most welcome here :slight_smile: