"Theme Options" for Sparkling missing after version 2.0 update.

I was less than 5 days away from completing my site which I’ve been working on for over 2 months. Today I saw an update notification for this theme. I decided to install the child theme first and copy the files to its root directory. I proceeded to update but once the update was complete, the “Theme Options” item was missing from the Appearance menu. I’ve tried uninstalling and installing a couple of times to no avail. All my tweaks and changes are gone for sure. Feels like I’ve wasted all that time for nothing.

@chrismwai

All options are now moved to WordPress customizer that you can find under Appearance >> Customize. All settings are still there but now you can tweak everything on a live preview.

Oh my. Didn’t see any update details and I had deleted both the main and child themes. In that case, is there any need for a child theme?

Child Theme is required only if you make changes inside code. For customization via Customizer you don’t need a child theme.

I think removing theme options altogether was a wrong move because now the short codes don’t work. I’ve added a a text widget to the third footer widget area. Before, I had used the short codes button to add short codes to the text and add text line by line. Now everything is treated as a single paragraph and you can imagine how an address added as a single paragraph will look. Ive tried the advanced text widget, the TineMCE to no avail. Let me post a screen shot.

Forgive the typos. I’m really frustrated.

There have never been any shortcodes for this theme. Like never ever. I think you might be confusing something.

Things you could do with the theme before you can still do now. All optikns ar there but are in Customizer.

Thanks for the excellent support! I’m back to where I was with the progress on my our site. All I had to do now was avoid using the “Insert Shortcode” option that comes with the Easy Shortcodes plugin since it doesn’t seem to work when you’re on customizer. I also had to use the text option instead of the visual editor to add items line by line using html markup. We’ll most definitely be buying the premium themes for all websites we develop for our customers. Maybe we can also reach an agreement on this. The website url is enmowe.com .

Hi All

I have just updated sparkling and have gone to theme customise and I get a white screen.

The link I get is

tauntondistrictrc.co.uk/wp-admin/customize.php?return=%2Fwp-admin%2Findex.php

But this just brings up a white screen with no live preview options. Everything was working hunky dory before the update so at a loss…

Toby

@tobyhowarth

Theme Options are removed in favor to WordPress Customizer that you can access via WordPress dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize. All settings are still there but in different place and more user friendly with live preview.

@Aigars

Thank you I love the change but I can not see it, it white screens

@tobyhowarth

Please post a screenshot with what happens when you go to WordPress dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize.

Hi Aigars,

Theres one option I can’t seem to see in the Customiser, that was in the “Theme Options”… that is the social options.
I can see the option to enable social icons in footer, but then where do I setup the links to the social profiles?

Thanks in advance.

@joewalls123

Please read this.

tobyhowarth obviously never came back, but I too get the white screen of death when I attempt to go to Appearance >> customize. Wordpress 4.3.1. No need for a screen shot, it’s the white screen of death. Or an image of a polar bear in a snowstorm, if you prefer. :slight_smile:

Hi @Mr.Yuck,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I have tested it on my test site and it’s working fine for me using latest version of Sparkling theme.

This can be due to plugin conflict on your site so please try temporary deactivating all plugins and see whether everything works fine and then enable the plugins one by one to see which plugin is conflicting if any. If you can’t access admin area of your site then you can disable plugins by renaming plugins directory using FTP or cPanel File manager.

To help keep support thread separates could you please create your own thread for your question here https://colorlibsupport.com/c/sparkling/ instead of replying on others thread as it makes the thread messy and hard to read.

If you want to you can also add reference of this thread in your newly created thread.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Cheers,
Movin