Three-column mode - is it possible? and Centering

Hello, first - Thank you for a great theme. I have modified it as I have been tasked with recreating this site on WordPress: http://ecsinsure.com. The rebuilt site can be seen here: http://50.79.0.84/

1. I need to have a right and left sidebar. I am not sure if this is possible, and have tried unsuccessfully to add both using documentation and forums found online. See example here: http://ecsinsure.com/aboutUs.html

If this is not possible, I can just place the Testimonials in a different area of the page or perhaps use a plug-in that will make an attractive table to display it.

1. I am attempting to completely center the top navigation. This forum has a lot of answers about how to center it, but it creates a white space (probably due to my css changes) and I can’t figure out why - but it doesn’t look good.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Nice modification of this theme!

It would be ridiculously difficult to get sidebars on the both sides because theme doesn’t support it by default which means that you would have to create a new page/layout template for it and create a new grid sizes for the entire theme that would fit current content area. I don’t think that it is worth the effort.

I would do some fixes with your background as well. Right now it is fixed to the left side but it should be centered. You will see that on higher-res display.

For menu items I would distribute them, rather than trying to center. Here is method that I would use for your website.

#main-nav a {
    padding: 8px 25px 0 25px;
}

Thank you Sir! This is an EXCELLENT theme and is very flexible. I appreciate your quick response and recommendations. Glad you pointed out the background issue! I am using 3x 32" monitors turned vertically so without widening it to more than one monitor, I didn’t even see that. :slight_smile: I have made the recommended edit and will test it on multiple displays to make sure it’s lined up properly. On my monitor now it pushes “CONTACT US” to the 2nd line, but I am in the minority - so this might be ok.

I have one other issue now on the home page - and let me know if I should post this to a separate message - but this is minor. The home page slider copy only displays a limited number of characters. For instance:

“We listen to you, identify and assess risks to your business and then deliver cost effected risk management solutions. Our reputation and relationships with insurance carriers translates into exceptional terms, pricing, and fair claim handling for our clients. To read…”

Is there anywhere we can edit the number of characters that are displayed? My client will not want to trim their copy most likely. See this page for sample of what I am trying to recreate:
http://ecsinsure.com/index.html

It’s been tough! But thank goodness your theme is so flexible. :slight_smile:

That’s some awesome monitor setup right there! :slight_smile:

Probably it is some cross browser/operating system differences, so try to reduce width of menu items to make them fit. Something like this should do.

#main-nav a {
    padding: 8px 23px 0 23px;
}

If not reduce size even more. Just do some cross browser testing to see which size is the right one for all devices/browsers/OS.

For slider text you can use “Excerpt” field when editing Post/Page to add text manually in that field and it will show in full length in slider.

Since you are using Page instead of Posts you will have to enable Excerpt field manually since WordPress doesn’t support it by default.

You can either do this by adding this code snippet to Child Theme functions.php

add_action( 'init', 'my_add_excerpts_to_pages' );
function my_add_excerpts_to_pages() {
     add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );
}

or by using this tiny plugin:

Thank you again. Your help is much appreciated! I assume you accept donations?

I’m glad I could help.

Donations are highly appreciated and the best options is via PayPal where my email is a.silkalns[at]gmail.com (replace [at] with @).

Really appreciate your support!