Update to PHP 8 problem

Dears,

I updated from PHP 7.3 to 7.4 and it was fine but when I updated to PHP 8 as proposed by Gandi my host, the site stopped working and I received following error involving shapely:

Une erreur de type E_COMPILE_ERROR a été causée dans la ligne 442 du fichier /srv/data/web/vhosts/http://www.ulys-coaching.com/htdocs/wp-content/themes/shapely/inc/extras.php. Message d’erreur : Unparenthesized a ? b : c ? d : e is not supported. Use either (a ? b : c) ? d : e or a ? b : (c ? d : e)

could you help me fixing this?

many thanks for your support,

Julien

Hi Julien

Sorry, but it’s not yet fully compatible, so, you need to keep a compatible version, for now, we are doing a routine updates of the themes and soon it will be fully compatible with to the latest version of PHP

Hi, I manage a website that uses the Shapely theme and the hosting provider is going to be upgrading php to 8.1 Oct 6. Has there been any progress on Shapely’s compatibility with this version of php?
Thanks.

Hi @justindesrosiers

Im sorry, yet we don’t have any update about this but I hope it will be fully compatible soon

Regards

Hi,

Any more news yet on the Shapely theme being compatible with PHP 8?

tt’s been such a breeze using this theme and I’d to have to use another. PHP 7.4 is about to lose support … eek

Thanks

Hi there

My apologies, yet I cant say anything, I’m sure it will be PHP 8 supported but cant say any dates

Regards

Hi There
I am experiencing the same problem regarding PHP 8. If there are no dates available yet could you please recommend a similar theme that is PHP 8 supported?

Hi there

My apologies, however I cant say any estimate dates still :frowning:

Regards

1 Like

Appreciate the response. No other PHP 8 themes you can recommend?

Hi

basically all other WordPress themes are under the same condition :slight_smile:

Regards

Ouch! That sucks. Thanks

My apologies once again :frowning:

Hi there

Im sorry, but yet there is no update for shapely and I’m unable to provide any estimate dates :frowning:

Regards

Hello, any Update here? My hosting wants to charge me around €7.50 for support of the old PHP Version (7.4);(. I need to update to PHP 8.0

Please please please…very important

Hi there

Im sorry, but without a developer I cant provide any assistance, I hope it will be resolved soon :((

Regards

I think I found the solution on my own.

1. I downloaded the extras.php from the server
  2. I copied the extra.php and keep the original file in case it is not working.
  3. I used atom and open the extra.php file went to the line 442 and added some brackets around $author_nickname, $author_displayname, $ author_fullname

like this:

4. Saved the extra.php uploaded it to the server in the folder where it came from. To overwrite the extra.php
5. Updated my site to php 8.0 and it is still working.

before it gave a serious error.

Thank you so much @phil
sharing your solution is very appreciated

Regards

@colorlibsupport
what solutions do you propose while waiting for you to fix the problem with PHP 8.0?
My hosting provider is going to be upgrading php to 8.0 o more by 5 days…

Hi there

My apologies but making theme compatible with PHP 8 is not a small task and it can not be resolved by patch, so, I guess there is nothing than waiting for next theme update

Regards

Hello,
@colorlibsupport,
I know that it has been said before that there was no planned resolution for the PHP 8 compatibility of the Shapely theme. However, since this thread has not moved since Feb, may I ask if there are any updates concerning this topic ?
many thanks,
Fabrice