New activation of 2.3.2, ignores the old setup and options already set

hello,
I’ve been given the task to update your sparkling theme version 1.6.1.
When I activated the new version 2.3.2, all previous slider, styling and color options are gone as if starting from scratch.

I also noticed that in the file manager in wp-content> themes, the version 1.6.1 has a name of Sparkling master and the version 2.3.2 just says sparkling.

Images attached, please advise, thanks.

FYI: Letting you know this also, in case related some how… my other issue with version 2.3.2 that I’m posting in separate forum (live preview gives error, customizer gives error, and there is no longer a theme option, it’s gone)

Hi @karolsnewday,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I’ve been given the task to update your sparkling theme version 1.6.1. When I activated the new version 2.3.2, all previous slider, styling and color options are gone as if starting from scratch.

If you have made changes in the theme files then it will be gone so please reconfigure the theme.

Also in the latest version of theme all theme options are now moved to WordPress customizer that you can find in the admin area under Appearance >> Customize. All settings are still there but now you can tweak everything on a live preview. This change is made due to wordpress.org recommendation.

I also noticed that in the file manager in wp-content> themes, the version 1.6.1 has a name of Sparkling master and the version 2.3.2 just says sparkling.

Yes this is because you have downloaded the old version from GitHub - ColorlibHQ/Sparkling: WordPress Bootstrap 3 theme with dozens of options powered by WordPress Customizer instead of Sparkling – WordPress theme | WordPress.org

FYI: Letting you know this also, in case related some how… my other issue with version 2.3.2 that I’m posting in separate forum (live preview gives error, customizer gives error, and there is no longer a theme option, it’s gone)

Let’s resolve that issue on your following separate topic.

https://colorlibsupport.com/t/activation-of-sparkling-theme-version-2-3-2-has-error-no-customizer/

Best Regards,
Movin

If you have made changes in the theme files then it will be gone so please reconfigure the theme.
Good Lord! It's all making more since now. I was recently given this job of maintaining this website. It had not been maintained and someone else originally set it up.

This all explains why when I looked in the theme options of the version 1.6.1, I didn’t see the colors set up, even though they where showing on the live site. The original set up must have been done wrong. I bet they made hard code changes in the editor files, instead of using the theme tools provided. Wordpress amateur move; if original person setting this up was dead set on changing coding, they should have at least looked into setting up a child theme (I bet they didn’t know to prepare for needed theme updates).

Well, Reconfigure, means rebuild the setup correctly, which means I’ll have to have a discussion with my client. This is no longer a strictly maintenance assignment to a website already setup. Thanks

Yes this is because you have downloaded the old version from https://github.com/puikinsh/Sparkling/ instead of https://wordpress.org/themes/sparkling/

I actually had both downloaded and had switched between uploading one to the other while I was trying to see if one of the themes folder name was labeled “Sparkling-master” as what’s in MY version 1.6.1 backend. But based on all of the above, original setup person may have added “-master” to your file because both theme file download names once opened say “sparkling” and not “Sparkling-master”. Thanks again.

You are most welcome here :slight_smile: